HATS off to the Overton groundsman in which Saturday’s fixture was one of the few that survived despite the weather and the home side made the most it winning their fourth straight win 3-2 against visiting Clanfield.

Overton welcomed back Steve Price into the starting line up after an ankle injury and beefed up the bench with Dave Parry coming into the squad.

The home side took an early lead on six minutes with a delightful free kick from Alex Jupp which was met by Steve Price at the near post to steer it in for 1-0.

Clanfield came back strong and the pressure was telling as they equalized with a looping effort to make it 1-1 at half time.

With the heavy conditions, a strong Overton bench and Clanfield using two early subs, the Overton management team felt the second half was for the taking.

On the hour mark, great work from Jonnie Gurney showing pace and power to go past players in difficult conditions, brought a lunge from the Clanfield defender in the box and la penalty was awarded.

This was duly dispatched by Price to make it 2-1 to Overton. On 65 minutes, Parry was introduced to the front line in place of Price, alongside Gurney and supported by Kieron Fuller.

With tough conditions and an intense battle all over the field, home striker, Jonnie Gurney was caught up in a fracas with the Clanfield goalkeeper and hand bags were drawn, with Gurney being dismissed.

Overton sat on the lead and Sean O’Brien pulled off a string of fine saves to keep Clanfield at bay, however the pressure finally told with Clanfield equalised on 72 minutes.

Despite being down to 10 men, the Overton defence of Wheeler, Turner, Chambers and captain Kirk Smith defended with determination and with Parry looking dangerous with fresh legs, Overton looked the likely winners.

On 82 minutes Parry found space just over the half way line and danced his way passed some desperate Clanfield lunges to stay on his feet and calmly slot passed the advancing keeper to make it 3-2.

After the game, it was announced by the Overton committee that Les Hayes and Gary Savory, assisted by Duncan Leahy would formally manage the team until the end of the season.

Savory said: "Les and I have been thrilled by the effort the lads are putting in. We really look like a team who want to work for each other and win football matches. There is still plenty of work to do both on the training ground and the pitch. If the lads can keep pushing on in the manner we know they can, then we must look to target a top six finish."

Overton's next game is on Saturday February 3 away to Fleetlands.