AN INSPIRED performance by Hartley Wintney was not enough to see them progress into the second Round of the FA Trophy against Bromley.

A bumper crowd of 482 saw the full time Bromley side;, who play three levels above the Row, put in a strong second half performance to edge through to the next round winning 2-0.

It was the Row who threatened in the first minute when a fine sweeping move saw Paul Hodges find space on the right wing and pass found Rowan Vine who saw his shot saved by a well positioned David Gregory in the Bromley goal.

Much of the visitors early attacks were via winger Iffy Allen on the right.

However on 10 minutes the Row had a second effort when Paul Hodges went on a surging run and his parting shot found Gregory again well positioned to save.

The Row continued to have most of the play and on 26 minutes a long free kick into the penalty area by Dean Stow found Liam Eagle who was unable to connect.

A minute later, the Row could have been ahead after a crisp move involving Jake Baxter, Rowan Vine and Jack French saw Paul Hodges free in the penalty box.

The Hartley forward thinking he was possibly offside hesitated slightly and the shot went just over the crossbar.

Bromley attacks were spasmodic and usually finished with shots from distance which missed the target.

On 34 minutes, Rowan Vine found space for a shot but Gregory was well positioned to save.

Two minutes later the visitors first chance arrived when Allen created space on the right and his cross was headed wide by Josh Rees.

On 38 minutes, a free-kick from Dean Stow saw Rowan Vine almost set up Jake Baxter.

Two minuteslater, Louis Dennis fashioned himself a chance for the visitors and his parting shot saved by a well positioned Paul Strudley.

Bromley finished the half strongly and on 42 minutes Roger Johnson fired a shot from distance which was well held by Strudley.

Bromley had another effort before half time from Frankie Sutherland after good work by Dominic Voss which went close.

The Ravens came out for the second period showing a distinct sense of urgency and started to gain the better of the midfield play.

On 48 minutes good incisive play through midfield created a chance for Louis Dennis who shot wide.

Six minutes later, Frankie Sutherland had an effort from distance comfortably saved by Strudley. On the hour mark, a good right wing move saw Josh Rees given a chance but he shot wide.

A minute later the Hartley faithful roared their approval as Liam Eagle headed a long free kick from Dean Stow into the net.

However, the celebrations were cut short by the sight of the assistant referee’s flag for offside.

On 66 minutes the visitors had a good chance when the ball fell kindly for Johnson but he blazed wide of the goal.

Two minutes later, Bromley took the lead. The Row lost possession in midfield and the ball broke to Josh Rees.

With Hartley unable to close him down quickly enough Rees sent a fierce shot from 25 yards into the corner of the net.

On 73 minutes, Bromley were awarded a free kick on the 18 yard line when Johnson was impeded.

Frankie Sutherland took the kick but Paul Strudley brought off a good save.

Ten minutes later, the visitors put together the best move of the match which left three players with a chance in front of the goal.

However, they somehow got their wires crossed and the chance was gone.

The visitors made the game safe on 85 minutes.

Impressive substitute Luke Wanadio had a good run down the right and his accurate cross found Johnson who managed to set up George Porter who scored easily at the back post.

The Row finished strongly but were unable to create a clear cut chance to set up an exciting finale.

All in all a good performance from the Row against a side so far above them in the pyramid. For long periods in the first half they played their best football of the season.

However, having created many promising situations they were unable to get the breakthrough. Bromley improved after the break and in the end were deserved victors. However, a great occasion for the Row and a performance in which they could take a lot of pride.

After the game, Hartley’s joint manager Anthony Millerick said: “For me it was bittersweet. Such a great performance from all the team including substitutes. However ultimately we are out of the trophy.

“Obviously we will reflect on 'What might have been' during the course of the game. We certainly had our chances.

“The offside goal would have made a difference if it had stood. It must have been close.”

Fellow joint boss Daniel Brownlie said: “It was our plan to take the game to them from the off. We knew Bromley would come out strong in the second half after the first 45 minutes.

“Our defence played well throughout and for long periods in the first half it was difficult to gauge which team was in the higher league.”

He added: “I was very pleased with the support the big crowd gave us today.”

Hartley return to league action on Tuesday night with a trip to Uxbridge