BASINGSTOKE Town continued their excellent home record with a 2-0 victory over visiting Biggleswade Town.

The Dragons were comfortable winners of this contest, as Sam Smart scored in the first half and Callum Bunting after the interval.

Home boss Terry Brown played all four of his strikers, as Bunting a hat-trick hero in their win over Moneyfields in midweek, returned to the starting line-up.

Basingstoke were quickly out of the blocks, as Ben Wright’s free-kick was headed wide by Sam Argent in the third minute.

Soon after, Wright tested Waders’ goalkeeper Liam Gooch with a stinging shot.

The home side then took the lead on 11 minutes, as Lucas Perry headed the ball back to his goalie.

It looked a straight forward enough catch, but Gooch dropped the ball and Smart was left with the simple job of rolling it into the empty net.

Soon after, some superb link-up play between Smart and Argent released Wright, but the visiting goalie managed to come to the edge of his area and push the ball away with his hand.

George Bennett and Wright then had further chances, as Town had to settle for a 1-0 lead at the break. At the interval, Tim Wolhfiel replaced George Bennett, who felt light headed having been suffering from a flu bug during the week.

Town once again dominated and on 51 minutes got their deserved second goal.

Wright won a free-kick wide on the left near the corner flag. The striker took it, only for the visitors Gavin Hoyte to head it away as far as Smart, who threaded the ball to Bunting, who on the turn fired his low shot into the net.

Soon after, Wright’s trickery got him into the penalty area. He rode a couple of challenges and there was a hint of handball, as the Waders won the ball back, but nothing was given.

On 70 minutes, the home side came so close to adding a third, but Bunting’s header was hooked away.

Then a shot from Wright saw the goalkeeper fumble the ball, but Bunting was unable to convert from an acute angle.

In added on time, Bunting headed wide with the goal at his mercy from a Smart cross, as Town had to settle for a 2-0 win.

After the game, Basingstoke manager Terry Brown said: “I was delighted with the defensive display and I never felt we were going to concede.

“The two holding midfielders Charlie Kennedy and Dan Collier were our best players today as they were outnumbered four to two in that department, but kept winning the ball.

“The forwards have scored two and could have had a few more.”

The win moved Basingstoke up to 13th in the Southern League Premier Division table and on Saturday they are at home again to leaders King’s Lynn Town.