AFC ALDERMASTON captain Daniel Smith announced his retirement his side’s final home game of the season against Chalfont Wasps.

It was shame the goalkeeper could not sign off with a win after the Atom Men lost 2-0 and all at the club wish him the very best.

Smith has been one of the top Aldermaston players this season their first back in the Hellenic League and this was his second spell with the club.

Previously he played as a winger scoring a fair few goals including four in one game against Fareham.

Aldermaston will have the chance for quick revenge on Easter Monday when they travel to Chalfont Wasps for their final league game.

Aldermaston lost to the same opponents last Saturday 2-0.

Chalfont opened the game the better side and got themselves into an early lead after six minutes when a corner was beautiful headed off the crossbar and into the back of the net.

Aldermaston kicked off and created a simple chance for the recently recalled Michael Porter who squandered his effort chipping the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper and bar.

Aldermaston continued to push and created half chances and having a succession of corners.

With 20 minutes on the clock Karl Hanks sent a free-kick on the right hand side of the Chalfont box, his effort crashed off the outside of the post.

A few minutes later, another fantastic opportunity was missed by Porter when the ball was fired across the box by Kai Parton-Edey.

Chalfont remained pinned in their own half for the rest of the half.

Half time came and went with the home side coming out the stronger. Porter’s cross found Dan Alliston at the back post who hit an outstanding bicycle kick which stung the palms of the Wasps’ goalkeeper.

Chalfont looked dangerous from a host of set pieces and threatened to put the game beyond Aldermaston with some great deliveries.

On 55 minutes the Atom Men created two good chances when a ball drilled across the box by Parton-Edey was cleared for a corner instead of being met by the home players. The resulting corner was then put over the bar by an unmarked Alliston.

With the ball going end-to-end and only half chances being created by either side.

Chalfont put the game beyond doubt when a clearance was not dealt with and a counter attack made it 2-0.