AFTER two consecutive victories, AFC Aldermaston travelled to promotion chasing Woodley at the Rivermoor Stadium on Saturday and lost to a late winner.

The away side opened the game the better team, dominating possession and looking the more threatening, but neither side could break the other down inside the first 30 minutes leading to not a single effort on goal.

The midfield battle was being ground out and both sides tried to take a foothold in the game and deliver some pressure in the final third.

With just over 30 minutes on the clock Liam Tackley delivered a curling cross from the left which was flicked on by Craig Masterson and headed in at the back post by Kai Parton-Edey giving Aldermaston what they thought to be a lead at Rivermoor.

However, it was ruled out by the assistant referee as Masterson was adjudged to be in an offside position as he nudged the ball on.

With half time approaching a free-kick in the Woodley half was delivered and fell to The Atoms midfielder Tackley at the edge of the box who unleashed a sidewinder which went just wide of the right hand post.

Aldermaston came out of the break with some good energy levels trying to pin Woodley back, leading to the first chance of the half when Karl Hanks turned inside two defenders finding himself a small pocket of space to unleash a right footed strike, only to see his effort fly over the crossbar.

It took 65 minutes before Woodley could break the resistant Aldermaston back line when a timed run by Charlie Oakley saw him inside but his effort was parried for a corner by the onrushing Daniel Smith.

With 15 minutes left on the clock and both teams still standing ground and being stubborn, arguably the best chance of the game came along.

Kai Parton-Edey made a bursting run down the left hand side of the Woodley box firing a low ball through the six yard box.

This was met the foot of Karl Hanks to tap in, but somehow to the disbelief of everyone in the ground his effort was kept out by the Woodley goalkeeper on the line.

In the 85th minute as the fans sensed the game had 0-0 written all over it, Woodley found some space down the Aldermaston right hand side and the ball was delivered across the box and with an offside appeal from every Aldermaston fan, player and coach alike dismissed.

Josh Drew tapped in giving Woodley the goal either side needed to kill of the game.

Woodley took the spoils with a 1-0 victory in a game which could have gone either way.

The season is nearing its climax and AFC Aldermaston are next in action on the April 8 when they host Chalfont Wasps.