BASINGSTOKE RFC Academy avenged a narrow defeat on the Isle of Wight with a 61-10 success over Vectis at Down Grange..

Stoke started brightly working the ball well through the forwards, pushing Vectis back deep into their own territory.

Some fine work at the breakdown saw fly half Joseph Campbell feed centre Adam Warner who went over for Stoke's first score.

Campbell slotted a penalty soon after, taking the hosts to 8-0 ahead with 10 minutes on the clock.

The home side kept up the pressure and it was not long before Warner crossed for his second of the day after some great team phases, this was quickly followed up by a score from centre Alfie Rowley again after some fine team phase play.

Vectis worked hard to bring themselves back in the game, their abrasive pack tried hard to match the work rate of the Stoke forwards and they were finally rewarded, picking up a score after some poor defence from make the half-time score 20-5.

Early in the second half after some solid forwards phases, Campbell broke the Vectis line and went under the posts for a great score, he added to his try tally not long after with a sniped finish from the back of a ruck as Stoke threatened to rack up some serious points.

Vectis were being constantly pushed back by Stoke Number 8 Ed Pearson going over for a well worked score, quickly followed by Ollie Rampton who ran in from 35 metres after a fine line break from Adam Warner.

Campbell then set-up Matt Mairs for a great try with a neat grubber through the Vectis defence which Mairs finished emphatically.

Mairs picked up a second try with a great run from deep in midfield evading several frantic defenders before finishing.

Another of the Mairs, Dan finished off a superb flowing team move that started on the ‘Stoke 10 metre before a quick series of hands saw Matt Mairs break with Dan in support who took the offload before scoring under the posts. Vectis picked up a consolation try late in the game as it finished 61-10.

Stoke Coach Steve Parker said: “That was a brilliant team performance, every player put in a big shift today.

"Our forwards were dominant in the set piece and in the loose and the handling from our backs was exceptional. We’ve had great numbers at training and have been working hard on our shape, our attacking options and support play and you could see that today.

He added: "Man of the Match today was big Owen Oliver, he never stopped carrying, hitting breakdowns, tackles and offloading and to make it through a full 80 minutes without letting up was great from him.

"Joseph Campbell ran the show for us today, picking the right pass, using his boot intelligently and it was great to see him on the scoresheet. Really pleased, and look forward to our next game.”