WHITCHURCH United looked set to return to winning ways, only for visiting Horndean to score the equaliser in the ninth minute of added on time.

Having seen victory stolen away from his side manager Carl Bennett said: "We spoke to the ref just before the end of the game and he said he was adding three minutes, so I don't know where he got nine minutes from."

"I would have taken a point after the first 45 minutes, when we were not in the contest, but when you take the lead in the 94th minute you do think you have won the game."

Bennett was so sure new signing Luke Walker's second goal was the winner, he ran the length of the touchline to celebrate with him.

The Whitchurch boss was delighted with the performance of his new striker and said: "He is an old school centre forward. Someone who will shoot on sight and something we have been missing in this team.

"I have strikers in the team, but they make their own chances. Luke is player you just get the ball to and he just wants to find the target.
"He admits he is not fit, so he is only going to get better."

Walker ended up the Whitchurch's hero, but it was there goalkeeper Ellis Grant who kept them in the game in the first 45 minutes.

He made at least three great saves as Horndean were limited to a1-0 lead at the break.
However, the Jam Boys could well have gone in level, as Jack McCarthy's free-kick was tipped over the bar in the final minute of the half.

After the interval, Whitchurch improved, but on the 56th minute mark a shirt tug by Charlie Bragg saw Horndean awarded a penalty.

This was smashed against the bar and the home side cleared their lines.
Whitchurch made the most of this soon after as the visiting goalkeeper came out of his box after lone ball, but it fell to Walker who fired into the empty net.

From then on the Jam Boys took control and played their best football so far in 2017.

Then in the 94th minute a flick from McCarthy found Walker and with his first touch he sent the ball into net.

That really should have been the last kick of the game, as even the Horndean manager admitted, but instead another five minutes was played and the visitors scored to complete a 2-2 draw.

Wednesday night (7.45pm), Whitchurch are in action against visiting local rivals Andover Town.

Then on Saturday they are off to AFC Potchester in another league encounter.