AFC Aldermaston were unable to complete a league double over visiting Finchampstead, as they lost 2-1 in the Hellenic League Division One East.

The game opened up as a scrappy affair with both sides creating very little, Aldermaston with a scrambled effort from a corner before Finchampstead pressed and hit a few attempts from distance off target with Daniel Smith untroubled in the Atoms goal.

It was The Atom Men who served the first blow with 23 minutes on the clock, the ball was clipped into the left channel where it found Michael Porter who, with a few step overs cut inside and slid the ball to the edge of the box where Dan Alliston arrived to smash the ball home giving Aldermaston the lead midway through the first half.

Finchampstead attempted to hit back and were finding themselves in good areas with balls into the channels giving them attacking opportunities.

Alliston was putting in a great performance on the right wing, getting the ball down taking on anyone in sight, causing havoc.

There was only one more chance before half time when a corner was sent into the box and a header by Joe Cummusky was parried by the goalkeeper and cleared.

The half time talk must have done Finchampstead some good as they came out firing in the second half, full of energy and bite as this game turned into a fierce affair.

Within the space of 10 minutes Pete Wareing had two good chances to further Aldermaston's lead, but his first attempt from 20 yards was well saved by the goalkeeper before a scramble within the six yard box saw Craig Masterton go over the keeper and as the defenders retreated to the line, Wareing could not quite get the ball out of his feet to finish.

With just over an hour on the clock, Finchampstead found their route back into the game when a shot from the edge of the box was headed back into play by Martin King, but it fell to Chace Jewell who hammered his effort across the beaten Smith to level the score line.

The game evened out for the next 15 minutes with both sides creating half chances and opening the match up The visitors won the game on the 79 minute mark, when an attack from Finchampstead was broken down in the box and cleared with the ball falling to Lee Wheeler on the edge of the area.

He attempted to shield the ball and hold off three players instead of clearing.

Wheeler was dispossessed which gave Freddie Barron the opportunity to wrap up all three points and put them level with Aldermaston in the league.

The Atom Men travel away to Chinnor in the next encounter and will look to pick up their recent run of form once again.