BASINGSTOKE Town finally broke a four hour goal drought to claim the points against Evo Stick Premier League rivals Cambridge City.

Two goals from Ramone Rose and Marcus Johnson-Schuster ensured a 2-1 win at The Ark Cancer Charity Stadium. It saw 'Stoke move to 17th in the division and grab their first three points since August. 

A low key opening was bought to life when 'Stoke's Robert Atikinson lost out in a challenge with Dean Mason. The City winger had a clear run on goal but his parting shot from 18 yards was well saved by Town goalie Alex Tokarczyk. 

Midway through the first half, Town were forced to make a change as Dan Collier hobbled off through injury and was replaced with Michael Atkinson.

City continued to press and on 25 minutes, Cemal Ramadan got free down the right side of the 'Stoke penalty box. A dangerous cross was fizzed in, but Joe Gater managed to clear the ball from underneath his own crossbar.

Basingstoke then began to dominate and registered their first effort with 33 minutes gone. Richie Whittingham created some space and his shot nipped just over the bar from 20 yards out. 

It took 'Stoke just two minutes after the restart to give their fans the goal they had been craving. A long cross field ball from Robert Atkinson saw Michael Atkinson head on a perfect pass into the path of Rose. The striker ran on and fired home a low shot 12 yards out. 

The goal was Town's first since August 29. 

On 58 minutes a short right wing corner from midfielder Richie Whittingham was headed just past the post by defender Charlie Kennedy and the home side were now turning the screw.

Four minutes later they should have doubled their advantage. Another corner from Whittingham was returned by substitute Aaron Jarivs, but Robert Atkinson was unable to convert from five yards out - somehow heading over.

But Town only had to wait three minutes for their next chance. Defender Johnson-Schuster made a powerful run forward with the ball on the right wing, exchanging passes with the inventive Whittingham before firing his shot past City keeper Enol Ordonez.

Their advantage was cut minutes later, as City's Charlie Day reacted quickest to his blocked shot on 68 minutes. He set up substitute Alex Serrano for a shot that sneaked just past Town keeper Tomarczyk's post.

Basingstoke regained control of the match and in added time almost increased their lead again, but sub George Hallahan was unable to find a way past Ordonez, bringing about a strong save from the visitors' keeper.

Next up for Town is a home game against Cirencester on Tuesday night.