BASINGSTOKE RFC secured their 14th bonus point victory of the season to remain unbeaten at home with a 22-8 victory over Winchester 2s to consolidate second place in Hampshire 2.  

Oscar Rowley opened the scoring early on but that was the only highlight of the opening 40 minutes which turned into a war of attrition and numerous infringements at the breakdown from both sides meaning the game never really had any momentum.  

Thankfully however the second half was much the opposite with the hosts having much of the ball and beginning to look extremely dangerous once they eventually got the ball away from the breakdown.

Sam Clark added a second try shortly after the break after the visitors were unable to claim the lineout & Clark found the gap & bust his way through the Winchester defence.  

‘Stoke began to up the ante further and were soon rewarded after a great solo effort from Brad Titcombe.

He claimed a chip into backfield from the visitors and began sauntering his way downfield, stepping his way around the scrambling defenders and fighting off any who did manage to get a hand on him.

He eventually drove over in the corner to give the hosts a much more comfortable 15-3 lead with just under 30 minutes remaining.

The visitors very much under the cosh and heads beginning to drop, ‘Stoke continued to pile on the pressure with numerous breaks, with just the final pass letting them down and keeping the gap at just the 12 points.

They did eventually knit everything together to allow Adam Warner to secure the hosts bonus point, this despite colliding with the posts on the way through.

Sam Clark added the extras and ‘Stoke led 22-3 as they entered the final 10 minutes.

The visitors did add a try of their own towards the end of the game after the hosts failed to ground the ball following a chip through from the Winchester fly-half which bounced every which way it could to confuse the ‘Stoke defence.

With the final whistle blowing shortly after it was another victory for ‘Stoke on an afternoon which meant that promotion was all but secured as they head into the final league game at Millbrook after the easter break. 

Basingstoke RFC 22-8 Winchester 2s  

The 2nd XV were also winners meaning they secured third place in Hampshire 4 after beating Farnborough 36-21, Cam Prayag with a hat-trick to make it a celebratory afternoon for ‘Stoke, which, depending on the outcome of potential rescheduling could be the final home league fixtures of the season.