THE Basingstoke Buffalo booked their place in the end of season play-offs, thanks to a winning home double over the Chelmsford Warriors and Peterborough Phantoms, writes Graham Merry.

Last Saturday, the Herd cruised to a 6-1 victory over Chelmsford, despite only winning the first period 1-0 after Cam Buckle’s powerplay strike.

Just 31 seconds into the second session, Sam Hemmings-Maher doubled the advantage assisted by former Bison defenceman Adam Jones, who picked up a point on his debut, having signed for the team in midweek.

The Buff’s Hallam Wilson then added a shorthanded marker, before Chelmsford got on the scoreboard from Josh Fall to make the score 3-1 after 40 minutes.

The final period saw Sam Hemmings-Maher net his second of the contest, assisted by Buckle and Xander Robinson.

The game scoring was completed by two goals in the space of 19 seconds from Paul Petts and Wilson.

Louis Nicholson was the Buffalo man of the match.

The following night, the Herd enjoyed a 5-1 win over visiting Peterborough.

The Herd took the lead in the seventh minute as Ollie Hemmings-Maher released Wilson and he fired home.

Peterborough tied up the game thanks to a goal from Sam Barlow.

However, the Buffalo took a deserved 3-1 lead to the dressing room at the first break.

Scott Anda found Buckle in the slot and he produced a lovely finish and then Wilson was sent clear and made no mistake.

The second session saw Buffalo man of the match Morgan Parsons make two great breakaway saves from Callum Worthington-Evans and Conor Pollard.

The Buffalo then extended their lead as Janne Virtanen scored his first goal of the season to make it 4-1 at the second buzzer.

After the interval, Ollie Hemmings-Maher netted the Buffs’ fifth from close range, as he finished a move that involved Sam Compton and Petts.

After the game one of the Buffalo player-coaches Paul Petts said: “ I am really pleased with the win tonight, it was a great team performance and completed a four-point weekend for us.”

Next up for the Buffalo is a home game against the Lee Valley Lions on Saturday (6.30pm).

In other news, the Buffalo found out that the second leg of their Wilkinson Cup semi-final, which was postponed due to an electrical fault at the Basingstoke ice rink will now not be played.

Therefore, Peterborough who won the first leg 4-2 will now face the Guildford Phoenix in the final.