A HIGHLY disputed overtime goal ended Basingstoke Buffalo’s six-game winning streak, as they lost 6-5 to leaders Haringey Huskies.

Jaden Boolkah scored the game-winner at 63:29, but despite the protests from the home side that the puck did not cross the line – the goal was given.

The contest in Basingstoke last Sunday proved to be a close affair from start to finish.

It was table-topping Haringey who opened the scoring in the sixth minute from Joe Willingham.

The Buffalo levelled things by the first break thanks to Cam Buckle’s powerplay strike assisted by Roman Cathcart and Hallam Wilson.

The second session saw the home side take the lead as Xander Robinson converted a Buckle pass.

The Huskies hit back as Joe Tearall equalised at 31:25.

However, just 63 seconds later, the Herd made it 3-2 as Alex Sampford netted from man of the match Sam Compton.

Haringey once again replied as Sam Roberts tied things up going into the third period.

It was the visitors who struck first in the final session from Marton Szasz.

This time it was the Buffalo who hit back as Wilson scored on the powerplay assisted by Paul Petts and Tom Banner.

Then with five minutes left, the Huskies made it 5-4 from Connor Smith.

A big effort was now needed from the home side and they managed to beat Haringey man of the match Luke Clark once again.

Wilson was on target for a second time as he converted a pass from Ollie Hemmings-Maher.

With no further scoring the game went into overtime and Haringey grabbed the winner.

After the game a disappointed Paul Petts, one of the Buffalo player coaches said: “I felt we did enough to win the game, but ran into a good goalie. It just shows how far this team has come as we can now compete with the best in this league.”

The result leaves the Buffalo in fifth spot in the table ahead of the Christmas break.

They return to action on Saturday, January 6 with a trip to Gillingham to take on the Invicta Mustangs.

This is the first game of a double header weekend and the Buffalo face their Kent rivals, in the return at Basingstoke on Sunday, January 7 (6.30pm).