THERE was a nine-goal thriller as two rivals faced off in the Hampshire Sunday Trophy 3rd round.

Champs Basingstoke Hammers took on promoted White Ash Rovers and beat them 5-4, with Kieran Rodgers scoring a hat-trick to add to Darren Clift and William Wagstaff’s singles.

Overton United joined Hammers in the 4th round with a 5-1 win over Bournemouth side Muscliff Dynamos.

Ambient drew 1-1 with Freehouse FC in the Hampshire Sunday Vase, thanks to an Alex McKenna strike but Ambient lost 2-3 on penalties.

Brookvale United were also eliminated, 2-5 at home to Waterlooville Social Club.

Hampshire Royals were more successful on their travels to Gosport Spartans, drawing 1-1 and triumphing 2-3 in the penalty shoot-out.

In Division 2 Basingstoke Casuals consolidated their Division 2 lead with a 3-5 victory at Overton United Reserves, a league double. Ali Nije scored twice, Tyrese Dolton, Ryan Light and sub Cameron Feeney once each, while Richard Sopp was disappointed after scoring all three for Overton.                            

Sherborne St John lifted themselves into second place with a 1-6 victory at OLA Prestige FC, which seems more than adequate revenge for last week’s cup defeat at the hands of the same hosts. Bradley Elliott and Lewis Smart netted braces, Spencer Nicholson, and Thomas Seyfried singles; Reece Randall replied for the hosts.                     

Bottom of the division sides Herriard Sports and AFC Aldermaston drew 1-1, with Aldermaston’s sub Owen Prince securing their first league point on 39 minutes.

Samuel Ashton chalked up a hat-trick, Adie Mosdell and Sam Trodd braces, Joel Field and Harrison Shade singles as Division 3 leaders Winklebury beat Riverdene Rovers 0-9, a clean sheet league double in a fortnight.        

Second place Hook scored 13-0 against visitors Soldiers Return, with couple of hat-tricks by Adam Arthurs and Harry Patton, braces from Joshua James and sub Jack McKee and singles from Zac Felabel, sub Oren Campbell-Vernon and Max Paisley.       

Basingstoke Boars went down 0-4 to AFC Berg Reserves, Joe Bastin, Jimmy Graham, Levi James and sub Ty Driscoll doing the damage for the visitors.

Colin Bird, Louis Woodman, and Alfie Vincent scored for Cranbourne Saints in their 3-0 win against ABGFC

Oakridge B put on a great display, battling from start to finish, playing some nice football and controlled the game against their high-flying visitors Basingstoke Hammers Reserves. After a goalless first half, Hammers took the lead from a good run and finish from their striker Matt Kelly. Oakridge B swiftly equalised against a side that scored six against them in the cup just four weeks before. TK headed back across goal, when Funnso Otudeko was on hand to level 1-1. Sanchin Rai and Ruben Montiero added two more goals to seal the win in what was a tremendous game of football.

It was a one-sided first half in Weaty’s favour at The Oak FC but only had Daniel Goodyear’s 45th minute goal to show for the possession. The second half opened up and Weaty managed to increase their lead to 0-3 with Goodyear’s second on 49 minutes and Jack Futcher netting a minute later. But The Oak quickly closed the deficit to 2-3 before Sam Power made it 2-4 on 58 minutes. Still The Oak refused to lie down, scoring again, 3-4. Futcher scored his second on 84 minutes 3-5, but the pretty decent Oak outfit scored again 4-5 to ensure a tight finish.