A CYCLIST was left with bruises and scuffed handlebars after falling off his bike in Overton. 

Ben Elliot from, Oakridge, had been riding through the village on Sunday, May 14 with a couple of friends, training for Ride London, which took place on Sunday, May 28. Ben and his friends were 55 miles into a 67-mile ride when they road the water seeping out on Station Road, Overton, for many months. 

Ben noticed the large amounts of water, trying to avoid getting soaked, he made his way onto the footpath before slipping and landing hard on the kerb.

SEE MORE: Overton residents report persistent water issues on Station Road

The 41-year-old suffered multiple bruises and road rash on his knee, side, elbow, shoulder and little finger. The fall also damaged his bicycle and the smartwatch he was wearing at the time. Despite the pain, he had to climb back on, riding the remaining 12 miles home in pain.

Ben said: "The ride was our last big one before Ride London. We had slowed considerably, having noticed the large amount of water on the road. I thought I was being clever and would stay dry by riding on the pavement.

"I got part way down, moving slowly when my front wheel just went underneath me, sending me hard on my side. The fall bent my bars and scraped the tape as well as my seat.

SEE ALSO: Marshall and Millions vigil set to be held in Basingstoke

"I rode 12 miles home in pain and spent the next two weeks healing, hoping I would be okay for the sponsored ride. My bruised side was the worst as I struggled to walk for the next few days and sleeping wasn't comfortable. I dread to think of someone else falling there, it's really dangerous."

This is not the first time someone has fallen along Station Road. As previously reported by the Gazettea resident on the road, who did not wish to be named, had said another person had fallen on the footpath within the last couple of weeks.

A spokesperson for Hampshire County Council said: “We are sorry to hear of the issues residents have experienced. Our highways engineers have established there is a ground water spring and are continuing to investigate the problem to identify a workable solution.”

The Gazette has also contacted Southern Water for comment but has yet to receive a reply.