NEIL Liddiard has joined the Basingstoke Bison for the rest of the season, after starting the campaign in Chelmsford, writes Graham Merry.

The 44-year-old defenceman brings a wealth of experience to the team having made his senior debut in 1993 and has previously played for the Herd for three seasons from 2000 to 2003.

During that time he set a club record for the most assists in a single game for a British player with seven.

On his latest signing Bison head coach Ashley Tait said: “He is a very experienced player and this was what we were lacking in our back division, so he is an excellent addition.”

Liddiard made his return to the Basingstoke line-up in the narrow 3-2 loss at home to the Bees last Saturday.

In a very entertaining contest, the Herd found themselves a goal down at the first break after Lewis English netted, but they levelled things at 22:21 after Marcel Balaz scored with a shot off the back of netminder Adam Goss.

The visitors re-took the lead 10 minutes later from their man of the match Jack Goodchild and that was how it stayed to the second buzzer.

The Bison switched their lines around for the final 20 minutes and amassed 21 shots - five more than the first two periods combined.

However, they somehow only managed to score once as Edgars Landsbergs converted a pass from Liam Morris when they deserved much more.

It was left to Dominik Gabaj to net the Bees winner with five minutes to go.

Marcus Mitchell picked up the Bison’s man of the match award for another solid display on the blue line

The following night in Telford, the Bison conceded after 17 seconds, but overcame this to win 5-3.

By the first break goals from Zack Milton and Gael Lubwele had them ahead.

Landsbergs extended the lead in the middle session, only for Scott McKenzie to net his second of the night to make it 3-2.

Basingstoke Gazette: Netminder Jordan Lawday was the man of the match in TelfordNetminder Jordan Lawday was the man of the match in Telford (Image: Jo Loat)

The Bison made sure of the win as Aidan Doughty and Liam Morris made the advantage three goals, before Finley Howells completed the scoring.

Netminder Jordan Lawday was the Bison’s man of the match.

Tait was delighted with the win in Shropshire and said: “Going one down so quickly was not in the plan, but we reacted well and played a good road game.”

This weekend, Telford travel to Basingstoke on Saturday (6.30pm) and then on Sunday (5.30pm) the Herd travel to Hull.