Hartley Wintney were unable to build on their splendid weekend victory at Hayes and Yeading as they went down to a home defeat to Salisbury.

The match was effectively decided in the first 11 minutes when home defensive frailties were exploited by a determined Salisbury team.

The Whites started strongly and took the lead on two minutes. A right-wing corner was not cleared by the Row defence and Nassim Kherbouche shot home from just inside the penalty area. (0-1)

Salisbury continued in the ascendancy and on five minutes Calvin Brooks brought out a save from a well-positioned Damian Niemczycki in the Hartley goal.  

On 8 minutes a left-wing corner from Jerry Lawrence found its way to Kherbouche at the back post. The ball was returned and Josh Carmichael was on hand to fire home. (0-2)  

A minute later Hartley had their first effort. A free kick on the left from Josh Webb found George Spiers and his effort brought out a good save from the Whites goalie Gerrard Benfield.

On 11 minutes Salisbury extended their lead. Dan Fitchett linked up to play well through the middle before feeding Calvin Brooks who crossed to Jerry Lawrence who scored from 12 yards. (0-3)    

The Row stabilised and started to gain a foothold in the game. On 31 minutes they pulled a goal back. Niemczycki caught a high ball at full stretch and immediately sent a long clearance upfield.

This enabled a race between Kingsley Eshun and the last Whites defender. Eshun won and rounded Benfield before shooting into an empty net. (1-3)

Hartley improved after the break and had a period of pressure around the visitors' penalty area.

On 66 minutes Hartley thought they had pulled another goal back. A Webb free kick on the left went into a crowd of players and finished up in the net. But the referee's whistle went before the ball crossed the line. With no offside flag, it was unclear what the offence was.

Into the added time, Zidan Alers with the ball long gone decided to kick a Salisbury player.

This left referee Stuart Kyle with no choice but to issue a straight red card.