A BASINGSTOKE mum died as a result of exposure to asbestos during her working life as a cleaner, an inquest has heard.

Marion Eileen Summers, 82, of Gershwin Court in Basingstoke died at The Grange Nursing Home on January 20, 2022.

She had mesothelioma, a cancer caused by asbestos, at the time of death. 

READ MORE: Death of man found at his Basingstoke home is a mystery

The inquest was held at Winchester Coroner's Court on July 28.

Coroner Sarah Whitby heard evidence from Mrs Summer’s son Jack Summers and daughter-in-law Johann Walker. 

Mrs Walker said one of the jobs Mrs Summers did in the 1970s was at a launderette in Popley Way.

“It isn’t there anymore, it’s all been converted to houses,” she said.

“There, she could have been close with asbestos. As we know it is a fire retardant material.

“She also worked as a cleaner at Lansing Bagnall (later known as Lansing Linde) in Basingstoke. The area was full of asbestos.”

Mrs Summers had written in an HMRC claim that she was exposed to asbestos and that her brother, an electrician who she lived with for a year, died of asbestosis.

Coroner Whitby ruled she died as a reult of exposure to asbestos.

SEE MORE: What happens at an inquest and what can the press report?

A message from the editor

Thank you for reading this article - we appreciate your support.

Subscribing means you have unrestricted access to the latest news and reader rewards - all with an advertising-light website.

Don't take my word for it – subscribe here to see for yourself.

Looking to advertise an event? Then check out our free events guide.

Want to keep up with the latest news and join in the debate? You can find and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.