MORE than 50 residents were evacuated from a block of flats in Chineham by firefighters following a gas leak.

Crews worked with the council and police partners to move 52 people to safety following the incident at Lime Tree Way on Saturday night (June 18). A rest centre was set up at a nearby hotel.

Gas company engineers alerted emergency services shortly before 9pm after they found a ruptured main while dealing with a smell of gas at the property.

No one was injured but crews from Basingstoke and Alton remained on scene while gas teams isolated the leak.

Firefighters then used gas monitors to sweep the property before handing the incident over to the building owners.

Message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story. We really appreciate your support.

Please help us to continue bringing you all the trusted news from your area by sharing this story or by following our Facebook page.