A DOG has been rescued from a flat that was on fire after an alarm could be heard and smoke could be seen.

The incident happened this morning (May 25) at a flat in Hobbs Court, Basingstoke when crews were alerted to smoke and a fire alarm going off.

A spokesperson from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said: "We were called to Hobbs Court, Basingstoke, at just after 07:30 this morning after an alarm could be heard and smoke could be seen coming from a flat.

SEE ALSO: Brighton Hill murder: Four arrested after man in his 30s dies

"Firefighters entered the flat wearing breathing apparatus and put out a small fire in the kitchen.

"A dog was rescued and handed into the care of the owner before a ventilation fan was used for smoke clearance.

READ MORE: Hampshire County Council will not build Camrose link road despite building going ahead on stadium ground

"HIWFRS crews carried out community safety activity before returning to station following the stop message at 08:17."

Message from the editor

Thank you for reading this story. We really appreciate your support.

Please help us to continue bringing you all the trusted news from Basingstoke by sharing this story or by following our Facebook page.