THE scoreline did not reflect the game on Saturday night, as the Basingstoke Bison lost 4-1 to the visiting Telford Tigers.

The home side certainly gave the league leaders a run for their money, as the Tigers won for the first time this season in Basingstoke.

The Bison had the better of the early chances as man of the match Cain Russell went close after a goal mouth scramble involving Zack Milton and Ryan Sutton.

However, it was the visitors who opened the scoring from Andrew McKinney, after an excellent passing move.

The home side levelled things before the break, as Alex Roberts was released down the right wing and despite man of the match Bradley Day getting a glove to his shot, it still dropped into the net.

The second session saw the Bison have the upper hand and Day had to be at his best to keep the Herd out.

They did get the puck in the net at 32:28 from Sutton, but it was ruled out as the net had come off its moorings.

The Tigers took just 34 seconds of the final period to take the lead, thanks to a superb back handed top corner strike from Jack Hopkins.

The Bison went looking for an equaliser, with Ashley Tait and George Norcliffe both denied with great saves and then Alex Sampford flashed the puck just wide.

Telford then added two goals in the final five minutes from Rick Plant and Austin Mitchell-King to give the scoreline a more lopsided feel.

On Sunday in Telford, the Herd were beaten narrowly 5-4.

The Tigers won the first period 2-0 with goals from Jason Silverthorn and Mitchell-King.

Plant then added a third, before Milton netted the Herd’s first.

Telford’s McKinney then made it 4-1, but two goals in the space of 26 seconds from Roberts and Tait narrowed the lead to one.

Bayley Harewood netted the Tigers fifth, before man of the match Roberts made it 5-4.

This set up a tense final 20 minutes in which the Bison just could not find an equaliser.

Meanwhile in Basingstoke, the Buffalo beat the visiting Lee Valley Lions 10-2.

Scott Anda led the way with a hat-trick, Warren Jones and Sam Brooks grabbed braces and there were single strikes from Cam Buckle, Harry Brooks and Oliver Hemming-Maher. There were also three assists each for Neil Leary and Travis Penny.