Basingstoke Town came from behind to register a brilliant 2-1 win at Chipstead on Saturday.

Following a winter slump in form that saw just one win and six points from six games in December and January, Basingstoke have now put together three wins in a row to remain in the thick of the playoff chase.

‘Stoke had conceded 12 goals in four games against bottom half teams following Christmas but after sweeping Staines aside and producing a strong defensive performance at South Park, they displayed an ability to win ugly too.

Chances were at a premium, not helped by a string of soft free kicks being given to both teams in the first half that stopped the game getting into a rhythm. Stefan Brown was left bemused early on as an opportunity to take down a bouncing ball on the edge of the Chipstead penalty area was taken away from him by the referee’s decision to award a Basingstoke free kick all the way back in the centre circle for an earlier foul. It seemed fitting that the opener came from a set piece. Home midfielder Teo Kurtaran bending an excellent free kick just inside Paul Strudley’s post on 24 minutes.

With the lack of clear-cut chances, Basingstoke had to be clinical when they came. The equaliser was forged from a free kick of their own, Anton Rodgers’ ball evading Brad Wilson at the near post, only for Brown to arrive at the back of the queue of players to squeeze home from a tight angle a minute before half-time. It could’ve been ever better for the away side as Dan Williamson’s marauding run from right-back was ended on the edge of the box by a Chipstead defender, but the referee ruled the foul to have taken place just outside.

The equaliser came in a timely manner and having shaded the first half, Basingstoke started the second on the front foot too. Top scorer Conor Lynch missed the chance to nudge his team in front as he mishit Wilson’s low cross, but Wilson found the net himself with 25 minutes to play. A rehearsed corner routine got the forward the ball on the edge of the box and after turning neatly, he managed to force a low shot through a crowded box to put Basingstoke 2-1 up. As timed ticked on, Basingstoke found themselves defending deeper but successfully prevented the hosts creating the chances they needed and saw out time for another key three points.