Farnborough strengthened their position as league leaders with a solitary goal win in the North Hampshire derby against Hartley Wintney.

The North Hampshire derby brought out a bumper attendance for the New Years day fixture. A crowd of 805 watched and this was the biggest crowd to watch a Hartley Wintney match; home or away; since they joined the Southern League four years ago.

Farnborough used the pace of winger Selim Saied in the early stages and almost had success in the second minute when his cross was met by David Pratt who saw his effort blocked.

Hartley edged possession but without getting sight of the Boro goal. The first real chance fell to the Boro on 17 minutes when a left wing run and cross from Saied found Paul Hodges who skied his shot over. Hartley had most of the play but without testing Jack Turner in the Boro goal.

Boro could have gone ahead on 28 minutes. John Oyenuga made good progress down the right wing and his cross saw David Pratt shoot over.

Hartley threatened on 36 minutes following a darting run by Reece Wylie. The midfielders cross had Boro keeper Jack Turner struggling and the Boro defence were relieved to scramble the ball clear. On the stroke of half time the Row came close, but a free kick from Jordan Edwards was not fully cleared and a shot from Leo Hamblin from 20 yards went narrowly over the bar.

The Boro looked more incisive after the break. However the Row had a couple of early chances. Wylie made ground on the left and his cross found the head of Sam Argent who saw his effort go over the crossbar. A minute later a powerful run down the right by Kingsley Eshun saw the Boro defenders just about scramble clear.

Play moved to the other end and Hodges had his second chance of the afternoon. Picking up a loose ball 25 yards out he managed to elude Row defenders before seeing his shot go over the crossbar. However Paul Hodges was not to be denied when he made it third attempt lucky by opening the scoring on 56 minutes. Ricky Holmes found space on the left wing and his low cross was swept into the net by the former Row favourite. (0-1).

Hartley strove hard to get on level terms but made little impression on a resolute Boro defence. On 70 minutes a long free kick into the Boro area saw a scramble which Farnborough managed to scramble clear. With very little chances being created from open play, set pieces were offering some hope to both sides. A free kick on 83 minutes from Boro’s Sam Deering saw the Row just manage to scramble the ball clear.

In added time a long free kick into the Boro area from Edwards saw Dan Fitchett shoot home from 12 yards. However the referee had just blown for a foul on Turner who was impeded. In the end a very tight local North Hampshire Non League derby match enjoyed by a bumper crowd without a hint of aggravation.