A TEENAGER from Basingstoke has been sentenced to three months in a Young Offender Institution after pleading guilty to two charges of assault at a hotel near Basingstoke Leisure Park.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Basingstoke Youth Court and admitted to witness intimidation, assault, theft and firearm offences.

The incident happened at the Premier Inn hotel near the Basingstoke Leisure Park in the early hours of Friday, November 12.

He admitted two charges of assault following an incident.

The teenager also admitted possession of a firearm when prohibited for five years and pos-session of a weapon for the discharge of a noxious liquid/gas/electrical incapacitation de-vice.

He was charged after officers found a gun capable of firing blanks and gas cartridges fol-lowing a search of a property in Basingstoke on Sunday, February 21 this year.

The boy was given a six-month detention and training order and was sentenced to three months in a Young Offender Institution.

Another 17-year-old boy, also from Basingstoke, admitted assault and witness intimidation and received a four-month detention and training order.

He will be in a Young Offender Institution for two months.

Both boys were given a two-year restraining order that relates to the witness intimidation and theft offences.

The court heard that the first 17-year-old boy had also breached a gang injunction after he was spotted with a third 17-year-old boy in the same Premier Inn hotel on Thursday, No-vember 11.

The boys were both found to be in breach of a gang injunction and were sentenced to 28 days in a Young Offender Institution when they appeared at court on Tuesday, November 16.

Police Sergeant Ian Davies, from Basingstoke’s High Harm Team, said: “We are pleased that the teenagers have been dealt with by the courts today.

“The offences were serious and there is simply no place for violence in our communities. I am pleased that the boys have been punished for their actions.

“A huge amount of work went into securing the gang injunctions and they have been put in place in a bid to prevent gang-related activity in Basingstoke.

“I hope the outcome acts as a deterrent and a warning to others that we will take any breaches very seriously and those who are caught will be brought before the courts.

“I would like to thank my colleagues and staff in the High Harm Team for their continued efforts working in Basingstoke to help tackle serious violence.”