ONE person has been taken to hospital following a fire at a block of flats in Overton this morning.

Emergency services were called to the scene around half seven this morning (Thursday, November 25) to reports of smoke at Lampool House on Station Road from passerby.

The fire, which is believed to have started in the roof area, was tackled by around 30 firefighters from Overton, Andover, Basingstoke and Eastleigh.

Thankfully, everyone had been evacuated from the building ahead of their arrival, and nobody was seriously hurt.

However, South Central Ambulance Service has now confirmed to the Gazette that one person was taken to hospital after the incident.

A spokesperson said: "We were called at 07:31 this morning to a roof fire in London Road Overton.

"We sent to the scene a paramedic team leader, Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) and an ambulance crew. They were on scene working in partnership with the fire service.

"They assessed and treated one patient for non-life threatening smoke inhalation.

"Following treatment at the scene by our crews the patient was taken to North Hampshire Hospital."

Emergency services scaled back their operation around 10am, with London Road reopening to vehicles but Station Road remaining coned off.