TWO fire crews from Basingstoke were called to a property after a fire broke out in Chapel Gate last night.

Crews tackled the small blaze in a kitchen after a tea towel caught fire on James Road on Thursday, August 13, at 7.10pm and used tactical ventilation for smoke clearance.

A spokesperson from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "A 30-year-old male was treated for burns to his fingers, and was handed over to SCAS."

Resident, Darren Gowing, from Ernest House, said: "I heard smoke alarms go off in the properties at Chapel Gate.

"I couldn't hear first of all where the noise was coming from.

"I looked out of my front window and saw in the distance a gap in the roofs and fire engines were entering the estate.

"I thought is anybody hurt?

"We are a close community and growing by the day."

Residents saw a man had sustained injuries to his fingers and his hand was in a bowl of water, Darren explained.