This is the moment a terrified man being chased by a gunman fled to a restaurant for safety last night.

The victim shouted “He’s got a gun! He’s got a gun” as he ran into Hook Tandoori on Station Road just after 9.30pm.

In video footage obtained by The Gazette, the gunman entered the restaurant and shouted obscenities.

Terrified diners hid as the incident unfolded while brave restaurant staff shouted at the gunman to leave, according to witnesses.

READ MORE: Brave businessman describes the moment he pushes suspected gunman out of his restaurant

Armed police arrived quickly after, by which point the gunman was “long gone”.

Basingstoke Gazette:

This morning, the suspect is still at large as police said enquiries are continuing.

An eyewitness said the victim was being chased by the driver of a large, blue 4X4 vehicle who was “driving like a maniac”.

The car could be seen roaring through the small village of Hook trying to trace the man down before he came running into the restaurant.

One diner told this newspaper: “I was really shocked. I thought Hook was only a nice, quiet little village with a couple of pubs. But this was something you’d expect to see straight out of Miami.”

Recounting what happened, he said: “I thought it was the chefs in the kitchen having an argument to begin with.

Basingstoke Gazette:

“As we were crossing the road earlier, we spotted a blue 4x4 driving about 70mph like a maniac. We realised it was the same 4x4 kicking off. We think he must have been chasing this guy down and then that’s when the guy ran in to say, ‘He’s got a gun, he’s got a gun.’”

“The restaurant was full at the time. A couple in the corner made a run for the toilets once they heard he had a gun. There were another group sitting in the window. It’s not what you expect to happen. I normally go for a curry on a Thursday but came out on the Wednesday instead for Eat Out to Help out.”

Once police arrived, diners were questioned for around 45 minutes. “The gunman was long gone by then, they were taking statements,” the witness said.

A spokesman for Hampshire Constabulary said: “We were called just after 9.40pm last to a report of a man with a firearm in Station Road, Hook. Officers attended, but he was not located. Enquiries are continuing.”