A fire broke out at a high rise building early this morning.

Firefighters were called to Aspire Place in Shetland Road just before 2am on Sunday.

Five crews in total were at the scene where it the blaze - which carried over two levels of the building - reportedly began after a barbecue was left out on a balcony.

Basingstoke Gazette:

A message from the Basingstoke Retained fire crew read: "H01P8 and H01C3 mobilised alongside H01P6, H01P7 and H01A1 also from @Basingstoke_01, @Odiham10, @Tadley12 and @HartleyWintney8 to a confirmed high rise fire in Popley.

"Fire involving gas cylinder on 5th floor balcony. Crews used MJ, PPV and the ALP to extinguish."

The fire was extinguished around 3.30am and some crews were required to remain at the scene for standby duties.

It is not believed there were any injuries but Hampshire Fire and Rescue have been contacted for more details.