POLICE are investigating another suspected arson after a fire broke out at Yateley Common on Friday evening.

Crews from Hartley Wintney were involved in tackling the blaze, which broke out in Blackbushe on Friday, with firefighters attending the scene just before 8pm.

Police say they were then alerted to the incident at 8.15pm and are now investigating the fire as a suspected arson.

A spokesperson has confirmed they are “currently following up several lines of enquiry” but that no arrests have yet been made.

It comes after a spate of similar incident in recent weeks.

Officers launched a separate investigation just one day previously after two boys were spotted started a fire on land in Yateley Common on Thursday last week.

Five hectares of land was set alight, with five fire crews tending to the blaze.

Last month, a similar gorse fire destroyed 20 hectares of land at Hazeley Heath, near Hartley Wintney.

Firefighters were on site for hours damping down the area after the blaze, which destroyed reptiles and the nesting sites of birds.

And a week later, firefighters were again dealing with a fire in the open as two large areas were destroyed near Sydmonton.

Speaking to the Gazette, North Hampshire Group Commander Ryan Thurman said that he did not believe the fire was an accident.

And now police are also treating this latest blaze as a suspected arson.

Addressing the fire that broke out on Friday evening, a spokesperson for Hampshire police told the Gazette: “We were alerted to a fire on Yateley Common at around 8.15pm on May 15 by Hampshire Fire & Rescue.

“We are investigating the fire as a suspected arson and are currently following up several lines of enquiry. No arrests have yet been made.

“If anyone has any information, please get in touch by calling 101 and quoting reference 44200172675.”

A post by Hartley Wintney fire station on Twitter had said that the suspected culprits were detained at the scene until police arrived, however officers have reiterated that no arrests were made and no one has been questioned over the incident.

Regarding the investigation launched the day prior, police say there has been no further update since the statement provided at the end of last week.

Officers had been looking to speak to two teenagers in connection with the fire and issued an appeal to the public for further information.

A spokesperson told the Gazette: "The boys we would like to speak to in connection with the incident are described as being aged around 15 years, both white.

"One is described as being tall and slim, with a pale complexion and wearing a white tracksuit top.

"The other is described as being noticeably shorter, with light or ginger hair and a ruddy complexion.

"We are appealing to anyone who saw anything suspicious to get in touch by calling 101 and quoting reference 44200171058."