FIREFIGHTERS were called to a retirement home in Tadley tonight after burnt food caused alarms to sound. 

Crews rushed to the scene to retrieve the charred item from the oven.

The emergency service workers stayed on at the care home to give advice.

Taking to Twitter, Hampshire Fire & Rescue wrote: "20:38 - AFA at a local retirement home. Alarm caused by burnt cooking. The crew remained on scene for a while to carry out a safe and well visit."

Attached to the post was a photograph of the food which had been rendered inedible.

While on first glance the scalded meal bears the appearance of a steak, on closer inspection - factoring in its silver casing - the item is understood to be a pie. 

Basingstoke Gazette: Charred goods Charred goods