A STUDENT sexually assaulted a drunk woman in Festival Place after following her after a night out, a court heard.

Robin Tate, from Kingsclere, chased after the victim when she tried to run away, grabbed her by the throat and pinned her to the wall.

The 24 year old pleaded guilty to sexual assault at a hearing at Basingstoke Magistrates' Court last week.

The district judge was shown CCTV footage of the incident, which took place inside the shopping centre on May 16.

In the video, the blonde-haired student can be seen approaching the victim who was described as being "very drunk". She could be seen pushing him away when he tried to kiss her.

Prosecuting, Kerry Richardson, said: "The victim tried to walk away from him and he stopped her. He started making physical advances to her. When she tried to turn around to run away, he chased after her and pushed her against the wall."

The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, tried to call friends to help but Tate snatched her phone.

Ms Richardson said: "She is crying and trying to call her friends. He then removes her phone and puts it in his pocket."

In the footage Tate, who is wearing a grey jumper on the night of the incident, is seen forcibly trying to kiss the woman before he sexually assaulted her. 

The victim, who was sitting in the public gallery during the hearing, burst into tears as the moment was replayed.

In a victim impact statement, the court heard how the woman's life had been turned upside down since she was attacked. As well as suffering panic attacks, the woman had to leave her job.

She said: "I was scared. I recollect being unable to process what happened.

"I've started getting increasingly anxious to the point of where I have panic attacks.

"It got to the point where I felt I couldn't leave the house without my mum with me.

"I did have to leave my job as a direct result of this incident.

“I’m consistently on the alert for other people who are around me – no should mean no.”

Dressed in a smart blue suit, Mr Tate's defence said he had been under the influence of alcohol at the time having just completed a set of exams.

Tate spoke only to confirm his name and address and was straight-faced while the CCTV footage was shown to magistrates.

His defence said Tate accepted he was under the influence of alcohol and said he had made a "courageous decision" to accept he had done wrong.

Ms Chessum, defending, made a case to the judge to consider sentencing Tate at Magistrates' Court however it was denied.

District Judge Pattinson said the incident was "clearly in excess of this court's powers".

The case was sent to Winchester Crown Court on Thursday, October 3 where Tate, who was granted unconditional bail, will be sentenced.