A BASINGSTOKE man in his 60s is one of the only people on record to have been banned from every pub in the country after he spat at a custody officer when he was arrested in Bournemouth.

Stephen Leslie Swanson, of Talmey Close, was convicted of attacking detention officer Daniel Scott at the station in Madeira Road on March 10.

Swanson, 66, also admitted being drunk and disorderly in Charminster Road and having a gram of cocaine in his possession on the same date.

The defendant appeared at Poole Magistrates' Court for sentence on Tuesday, July 23.

He was handed a community order, which features the single requirement that he must not enter any pub for a year and a half.

He was also ordered to pay an £85 surcharge and £50 costs, as well as £100 compensation to Mr Scott.

Police said they were initially called to Charminster Road during the early hours of the morning.

"We were called at around 1.30am on Sunday, March 10 to reports of a man acting in a disorderly manner in the area of Charminster Road in Bournemouth," a spokesperson for the force said.

"Officers attended and located the suspect, who appeared to be intoxicated.

"A 66-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of being drunk and disorderly.

"He was taken into custody and searched. Officers located a bag of suspected class A drugs in his pocket.

"Later that morning, the man reportedly spat at a detention officer as he carried out a routine cell inspection.

"He was further arrested on suspicion of possessing a class A drug and assaulting an emergency worker."

Swanson's ban marks him as one of the few people to be made the subject of such a strict order.

Earlier this year, Niall Keith Hawkins, 40 and of St Michael's Lane, Bridport, was ordered not to visit any pubs or bars in his home town for six months after he admitted affray ay Weymouth Magistrates' Court.

The court heard Hawkins 'threatened passers-by with hurling sticks' during an incident at a social club in Bridport at 7.20pm on January 15.

He eventually put the sticks down when requested by police.

Hawkins was sentenced to a 12-month community order with 100 hours of unpaid work. He was also excluded from any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.