MEMBERS of a gang which is believed to have stolen more than £1m from cashpoints have been jailed for a total of 32 years.

The group targeted ATMs up and down the country, including in Baughurst, between June 2017 and September 2018, causing more than £200,000 worth of damage, in addition to making off with the cash.

In the attacks, the gang used specialist cutting equipment, stolen from fire stations, to force entry into stores and attack the cash machines.

The gang was responsible for an attack on the Tesco Express store in Heath End Road, Baughurst on September 27 last year.

Three of the thieves entered the shop using heavy duty cutting equipment and crow bars while the fourth remained on the roadside, acting as lookout.

The gang were only on the scene for ten minutes before making off with an unknown quantity of cash from the ATM.

Five men were sentenced at Shrewsbury Crown Court today (April 5) after previously pleading guilty to conspiracy to burgle and converting criminal property.

The investigation was led by West Mercia Police’s Serious and Organised Crime Unit.

Detective Chief Inspector Gavin Kinrade: “The offenders were part of an organised crime group responsible for a string of ATM attacks across the UK which netted them a considerable amount of cash. The gang were motivated by greed and gave no consideration to the damage and destruction they left behind.

“These crimes had a huge impact on the local community with many of the cash machines the group targeted the only source of withdrawing cash for people in the area, some of which haven’t been replaced. Not only that the group were prepared to use violence to commit the offences and stole vital specialist life-saving equipment from fire stations with total disregard to the public.

“This was a complex and challenging investigation and I would like to congratulate my team for bringing the matter to a successful conclusion. I would also like to thank colleagues at the other police forces who supported our investigation and assisted in collating evidence.”

The following sentences were imposed:

  • Michael Solomon Stubbs, 32, of Asheridge Close, Wednesfield, has been sentenced to six years and eight months.
  • Noel Anthony Reilly, 39 of Wychall Lane, Birmingham, has been sentenced to seven years and six months.
  • Martin Steadman, 24 of Luce Road, Low Hill, Wolverhampton has been sentenced to seven years and six months.
  • Mohammed Maneer Khan, 31 of Great Hampton Street, Whitmore Reans, Wolverhampton has been sentenced to four years and ten months.
  • Marcus Burton, 33 of May Farm Close, Hollywood, Birmingham, has been sentenced to five years and ten months.
  • Mohammed Khan, 31, of Wolverhampton, also pleaded guilty to possession of criminal property.

Serious Crime Orders were also granted against Steadman, Stubbs, Reilly and Burton which will place a number of restrictions on them when they are released from prison and are designed to protect the public.