FIREFIGHTERS were called to Festival Place yesterday amid concerns of a hazardous material incident, which turned out to be a false alarm.

Four crews from the Basingstoke station along with other Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service resources were called out at around 4.20pm to the shopping centre, with the Basingstoke Sports Centre the focus of their attention.

It was thought there was a mains gas leak in the centre and crews, after investigation and inspection, handed the scene over to centre management and the gas provider.

An eyewitness reported the centre had been evacuated as a precaution.