A MAN in his 60s had to be taken to hospital after a flat fire last night.

Firefighters were called out to Hanover Gardens, Basingstoke, at 9.23pm and found the small fire had originated in a microwave.

Though the fire was out by the time the fire crews arrived, the amount of smoke which had been created meant firefighters had to use tactical ventilation fans to clear the fumes from the flat.

Meanwhile, a man in his 60s was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to Basingstoke hospital for further treatment.

Fire crews were stood down from the scene at 10.12pm.