'TWO mattresses' were set alight in the basement car park of Festival Place yesterday evening.

Fire crews were called to the car park at 5.38pm to reports of a fire in 'materials used by homeless people', reported on Tadley Fire Station's Twitter account as being two mattresses.

The fire was stopped by firefighters using two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel.

Fire crews then handed the incident over to security teams at the shopping centre with further crews, including from the Basingstoke station, were stood down from attending when the stop message for the incident came in at 6.14pm.