Whitchurch run now up to 14 after Walker double at Romsey


Whitchurch continued their current run of away fixtures with a trip to Romsey Town and overcame the potential banana skin with victory by the odd goal in three and a double over the league’s bottom side.

United were forced into changes after their midweek win at Lymington with the loss of Ali Brown and Tom Hindmarsh, but welcomed back Adam Pearson and Luke Walker.

On a damp and murky afternoon Nic Turpin forced home goalkeeper Brad Snelling into a save in the opening seconds and the visitors dominated the early stages. Shane Lock could have done better on 15 minutes with the goal seemingly at his mercy before Walker and Turpin combined with a clever free-kick that was deflected narrowly wide by the defensive wall. It seemed only a matter of time before Whitchurch gained some reward for their almost constant pressure and the goal duly arrived on the half hour with a Walker drive proving too much for Snelling.

Romsey, so long on the back foot, pushed forward after the goal but lacked conviction in front of goal and the visiting defence and goalkeeper Alex Thompson held firm to ensure the visitors remained ahead at the break.

As in the first half Whitchurch started stronger and Curtis Angell failed by inches to make contact with a Walker cross and the latter saw a free-kick well held by Snelling. Again Romsey pushed their way back into the game and equalised midway through the half when the visiting defence failed to deal with superb cross from the right and the ball was forced past Thompson. The game was becoming frantic and on occasions heated before Walker struck again with 15 minutes remaining to restore the lead. Thompson saved well from Danilo Cadete before the home side’s Mitch Parker collected the only caution of the game in the closing minutes, and Whitchurch saw out time to take their unbeaten run to 14 games and maintain their sixth place in the table.

The Club will be further buoyed by the Hants Senior Cup quarter-final draw with neighbours Basingstoke Town visiting in January as the season , at present, simply keeps on improving.

Manager Jim Macey was quietly pleased with his side’s performance bearing in mind how depleted the squad was saying: “We had a bit of a scratch side out due to various reasons with Tom Hindmarsh, Scott Hassell, Ali Brown, James Tennant and Isaac Sedu all out so Shane Lock and Tom Lockyer played out wide. ‘Romsey battled hard but we should have been four up at the break and 1-0 flattered them. They threw everything at us in the second half but Walker’s pace was always too much for them and he and Turpin linked well and were sheer class.”

Macey has signed former player Jon Rimmer as cover, the defender having been playing for Hellenic League Finchampstead and is also delighted with the Senior Cup draw which brings Basingstoke Town to Longmeadow early in the new year.

“I asked the lads who they wanted and most said Basingstoke home or away and Town won’t relish playing on our pitch much and we fancy our chances,” said Macey.

The Jam Boys play their Wessex League Cup semi-final against Petersfield Town on Tuesday January 14 on neutral ground at Alresford Town before entertaining Basingstoke in the Senior Cup quarter-final a week later on Jan 21.

Tomorrow the side has yet another away game, at Blackfield and Langley in the Wessex Premier Division.

More from Whitchurch United with pictures in Friday's Advertiser


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree