Whitchurch up to sixth after latest away day win

Lymington Town 1 Whitchurch United 3.

There was no unlucky number syndrome at an often misty Lymington last night as Whitchurch took their unbeaten sequence to 13, and moved to sixth in the table, in a game between two well matches sides that was decided by the cutting edge of the visitors.

Keeper Tom Hindmarsh had to leave his area to deny home striker Shane Sims but slowly Whitchurch, without the injured Adam Pearson, Scott Hassell and Luke Walker, pulled themselves into the game but a James Tennant free-kick was too close to the goalkeeper and an Isaac Sedu run stopped by weight of numbers.

Hindmarsh saved from Tony Bellott at close range before coming for a ball he could not reach and Sims’ shot was fortunately deflected wide of the post.

David Asker and Shane Lock combined to create a chance for Sedu but the ball ran loose before Tom Smith missed a similar chance at the other end.

The home side then enjoyed a good spell in which a Sims shot through a crowded area struck the post, with Tom Pemberton quickest to the loose ball, and Hindmarsh again forced to leave his area to clear. Nic Turpin was just wide after Pa Touray had created the space and the half finished with Curtis Angell bursting through only to be stopped by the offside flag while still in possession.

It took just two minutes for Whitchurch to make their mark after the break when the defence only half cleared Tennant’s corner and Turpin volleyed home.

Angell stopped Sims in his tracks and found Turpin but the hard running front man was foiled by goalkeeper Stuart Williamson.

Hindmarsh saved from Bellot before the powerful Darren Ritchie burst into the area, the keeper blocked his shot and the ensuing scramble ended with Ritchie going down and Sims converting the resulting spot-kick.

The scores were level for just three minutes as Alex Pickering floated a free-kick into the area and Ali Brown’s header put Whitchurch back in front with a quarter of the game left. The visitors made the game safe with ten minutes remaining when from a corner Brown had a shot cleared off the line and another blocked before Lock forced the ball home to confirm the three points.

More from Whitchurch United in Friday's Advertiser.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree