Tony Adams reveals he was interviewed for Saints job after sacking of Mark Wotte in 2009

Basingstoke Gazette: TONY ADAMS TONY ADAMS

Tony Adams has revealed how he was interviewed for the Saints manager’s job after Markus Libherr’s takeover of the club.

The Arsenal legend and former Pompey boss explained that he spoke to the club after Mark Wotte was dismissed in 2009.

“That was a few years ago, when Markus Liebherr took over the club, and I was interviewed,” said the 47-year-old.

“But I think they were worried with the connections I had previously with Portsmouth.

“Having just taken over the club, I don’t think the board wanted to be hiring someone seen as a Portsmouth person.

“It was quite understandable. They got Alan (Pardew), who’s a good guy, and the rest is history.

“It’s a super club, with great facilities.

“My great friends, Les Reed and Martin Hunter, are down there at the moment doing some brilliant things.

“It’s a club that deserves a lot of success.”

Tony Adams was speaking after hosting an exclusive ‘Talking Tactics’ session at WestQuay, where he spoke with England fans ahead of the team’s opening World Cup match.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:04am Sat 14 Jun 14

Manicsaintbloke says...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha Manicsaintbloke
  • Score: -19

6:29am Sat 14 Jun 14

richard903 says...

Manicsaintbloke wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha
I understand your comment and he didnt exactly have success at Skateland, but he has said nice things about saints in this artical so I will give him a thumbs up
[quote][p][bold]Manicsaintbloke[/bold] wrote: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha[/p][/quote]I understand your comment and he didnt exactly have success at Skateland, but he has said nice things about saints in this artical so I will give him a thumbs up richard903
  • Score: 99

6:35am Sat 14 Jun 14

LeTissLeGod says...

Dream on 'W-NK-R'
Dream on 'W-NK-R' LeTissLeGod
  • Score: -43

6:56am Sat 14 Jun 14

Sussex Jay says...

He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!! Sussex Jay
  • Score: 27

7:01am Sat 14 Jun 14

Wozzie says...

Defence coach possibly, manager, just not good enough
Defence coach possibly, manager, just not good enough Wozzie
  • Score: 16

7:08am Sat 14 Jun 14

THE12THMAN says...

Tony Adams you are not of a high enough calibre to manage SOUTHAMPTON FOOTBALL CLUB, you are More suited to managing the fish farm down the road,COYR
Tony Adams you are not of a high enough calibre to manage SOUTHAMPTON FOOTBALL CLUB, you are More suited to managing the fish farm down the road,COYR THE12THMAN
  • Score: 20

7:21am Sat 14 Jun 14

donni1437 says...

dodged a bullet there, the guy is clueless
dodged a bullet there, the guy is clueless donni1437
  • Score: 25

7:35am Sat 14 Jun 14

long memory says...

Sussex Jay wrote:
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since.
No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.
[quote][p][bold]Sussex Jay[/bold] wrote: He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since. No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level. long memory
  • Score: 26

8:12am Sat 14 Jun 14

mickey01 says...

richard903 wrote:
Manicsaintbloke wrote:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha
I understand your comment and he didnt exactly have success at Skateland, but he has said nice things about saints in this artical so I will give him a thumbs up
when in rome say nice things about the romans
[quote][p][bold]richard903[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Manicsaintbloke[/bold] wrote: Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha yeah right ha ha ha ha ha[/p][/quote]I understand your comment and he didnt exactly have success at Skateland, but he has said nice things about saints in this artical so I will give him a thumbs up[/p][/quote]when in rome say nice things about the romans mickey01
  • Score: 5

8:30am Sat 14 Jun 14

Rising_Son says...

long memory wrote:
Sussex Jay wrote:
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since.
No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.
Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.
[quote][p][bold]long memory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sussex Jay[/bold] wrote: He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since. No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.[/p][/quote]Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton. Rising_Son
  • Score: 8

8:39am Sat 14 Jun 14

itsnotjustice says...

he didnt get the job because when he was waiting to be interviewed and they asked if he wanted a drink he asked if their was an offer on doubles..


in more serious news... according to talksport the koeman deals done and will be announced monday.....soooo hope thats true
he didnt get the job because when he was waiting to be interviewed and they asked if he wanted a drink he asked if their was an offer on doubles.. in more serious news... according to talksport the koeman deals done and will be announced monday.....soooo hope thats true itsnotjustice
  • Score: 10

8:57am Sat 14 Jun 14

Costa Baz says...

I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style).

I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey.
What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry.
I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style). I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey. What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry. Costa Baz
  • Score: 37

8:59am Sat 14 Jun 14

jls217 says...

Rising_Son wrote:
long memory wrote:
Sussex Jay wrote:
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since.
No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.
Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.
Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance.
Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave.
[quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]long memory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sussex Jay[/bold] wrote: He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since. No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.[/p][/quote]Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.[/p][/quote]Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance. Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave. jls217
  • Score: 30

9:12am Sat 14 Jun 14

InCortesewetrust says...

Thanks for the kind words but no thanks tony we Southampton fc can attract high calibre manager's such as Ronald Koeman, 14/1 on to be our new manager,he will be in by Monday, hopefully with them Dutch defender's, tell your buddy les reed he talks Bo|lox
Thanks for the kind words but no thanks tony we Southampton fc can attract high calibre manager's such as Ronald Koeman, 14/1 on to be our new manager,he will be in by Monday, hopefully with them Dutch defender's, tell your buddy les reed he talks Bo|lox InCortesewetrust
  • Score: -1

9:21am Sat 14 Jun 14

yellowcard says...

Costa Baz wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style).

I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey.
What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry.
Very well put. On the manager front sky and talksport and the mirror say Ronald koeman will be unveiled on Monday 2 other sites are saying it is going to be Steve bruce
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style). I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey. What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry.[/p][/quote]Very well put. On the manager front sky and talksport and the mirror say Ronald koeman will be unveiled on Monday 2 other sites are saying it is going to be Steve bruce yellowcard
  • Score: 3

9:37am Sat 14 Jun 14

THE12THMAN says...

I can't seem to be able to place a bet on Ronald Koeman becoming the next saints manager with Skybet, they must know something.
I can't seem to be able to place a bet on Ronald Koeman becoming the next saints manager with Skybet, they must know something. THE12THMAN
  • Score: 10

9:59am Sat 14 Jun 14

long memory says...

jls217 wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
long memory wrote:
Sussex Jay wrote:
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since.
No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.
Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.
Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance.
Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave.
Totally agree.
I always remember the last match of the season with Dave as manager,and we stayed up by the skin off our teeth,as soon as the game ended,he rushed off to be by his wife's bedside,who was seriously ill in hospital,shortly afterwards,we sacked him. Dave, I have the upmost respect for you as a true gentleman,and great youth coach,ask Alan Shearer et all.
[quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]long memory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sussex Jay[/bold] wrote: He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since. No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.[/p][/quote]Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.[/p][/quote]Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance. Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. I always remember the last match of the season with Dave as manager,and we stayed up by the skin off our teeth,as soon as the game ended,he rushed off to be by his wife's bedside,who was seriously ill in hospital,shortly afterwards,we sacked him. Dave, I have the upmost respect for you as a true gentleman,and great youth coach,ask Alan Shearer et all. long memory
  • Score: 25

10:48am Sat 14 Jun 14

legod7 says...

It would have suited him well seeing as the Priory is right near Staplewood
It would have suited him well seeing as the Priory is right near Staplewood legod7
  • Score: -2

11:01am Sat 14 Jun 14

el caballo santos101 says...

Costa Baz wrote:
I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style).

I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey.
What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry.
agree with you there baz, however I wont say the same about that fool Merson! he is an absolutely horrid person who ruins soccer Saturday. shows how much he knows when he said Rickie wouldn't score 5 goals in the goals in the prem.
[quote][p][bold]Costa Baz[/bold] wrote: I have a lot of respect for Tony Adams, over coming his personal demons whilst still being one of, if not the best centre back in England, since Bobby Moore (would have been a brilliant combo, complementing each other's style). I'm glad he didn't become our manager, and time has proved that decision to have been the right one, but I won't take a cheap shot at him, for wanting the chance or because of his time at Pompey. What he has achieved, personally and professionally, transcends local rivalry.[/p][/quote]agree with you there baz, however I wont say the same about that fool Merson! he is an absolutely horrid person who ruins soccer Saturday. shows how much he knows when he said Rickie wouldn't score 5 goals in the goals in the prem. el caballo santos101
  • Score: 5

11:14am Sat 14 Jun 14

NC Fan4Life says...

He obviously is now making a play for Big Ron's assistant, but he is not good enough for Saints now.
He obviously is now making a play for Big Ron's assistant, but he is not good enough for Saints now. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: -4

11:34am Sat 14 Jun 14

mack chinnon says...

Is he still on the sauce.
Is he still on the sauce. mack chinnon
  • Score: -6

12:16pm Sat 14 Jun 14

TPFKARTSNINZ says...

long memory wrote:
jls217 wrote:
Rising_Son wrote:
long memory wrote:
Sussex Jay wrote:
He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!!
Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since.
No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.
Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.
Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance.
Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave.
Totally agree.
I always remember the last match of the season with Dave as manager,and we stayed up by the skin off our teeth,as soon as the game ended,he rushed off to be by his wife's bedside,who was seriously ill in hospital,shortly afterwards,we sacked him. Dave, I have the upmost respect for you as a true gentleman,and great youth coach,ask Alan Shearer et all.
Very well said, both of you. DM is a gent & still loves Saints despite the way he was treated.
[quote][p][bold]long memory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jls217[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Rising_Son[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]long memory[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Sussex Jay[/bold] wrote: He was very rude about us when he was the skates boss!! Will never like him , he used to call us 'them lot down the road' awful coach aswell!!!!!!!!![/p][/quote]Exactly the same comment Andy Awford used on numerous occasions while commentating on Poopey games on Radio Solent,never liked him since. No way would Dave Merrington or Willo ever sink to that level.[/p][/quote]Nope, they call us Saints or Southampton.[/p][/quote]Because Dave Merrington was one of the truly honest, hardworking, credible gentlemen of the the game and Southampton FC creped all over him. He was a great servant to this club and deserved a better ending to his Saints connection. A great spotter of raw young talent and knew exactly how to bring them through the system. He and his wife suffered as a result of the way he was treated by the Saints hierarchy at that time. He would have made a terrific assistant manager and we lost that chance. Water under the bridge now of course but there are those amongst us who remember. Thanks for your efforts Dave.[/p][/quote]Totally agree. I always remember the last match of the season with Dave as manager,and we stayed up by the skin off our teeth,as soon as the game ended,he rushed off to be by his wife's bedside,who was seriously ill in hospital,shortly afterwards,we sacked him. Dave, I have the upmost respect for you as a true gentleman,and great youth coach,ask Alan Shearer et all.[/p][/quote]Very well said, both of you. DM is a gent & still loves Saints despite the way he was treated. TPFKARTSNINZ
  • Score: 10

6:31pm Sat 14 Jun 14

Fatty x Ford Worker says...

I am sad Tony you would of done a good job at Saints!
I am sad Tony you would of done a good job at Saints! Fatty x Ford Worker
  • Score: -4

6:49pm Sat 14 Jun 14

Seedhouse the Unrepentant says...

Great player but failed at Wycombe getting them relegated, then got 10 points out of 16 games and sacked by the fish fiddlers then failed at some club in Azerbaijan! No where near good enough for us even in our Div1 days and not in the league of Pardew. He's living in a fantasy world.
Great player but failed at Wycombe getting them relegated, then got 10 points out of 16 games and sacked by the fish fiddlers then failed at some club in Azerbaijan! No where near good enough for us even in our Div1 days and not in the league of Pardew. He's living in a fantasy world. Seedhouse the Unrepentant
  • Score: 2

7:18pm Sat 14 Jun 14

76Saints says...

Rubbish Tony. Being an ex skate boss had nothing to do with not being giving a chance as Saints manager. Being cr@p manager stop you. Wasn't Bally an ex skate manager who also managed SFC.
Rubbish Tony. Being an ex skate boss had nothing to do with not being giving a chance as Saints manager. Being cr@p manager stop you. Wasn't Bally an ex skate manager who also managed SFC. 76Saints
  • Score: 3

7:59pm Sat 14 Jun 14

Clever Dick says...

Tony Adams. Dream on mate you need an IQ above average to manage the Saints. You were in your right place at skuntland. Average IQ of their fans is in single figures and yours matches them perfectly.
Tony Adams. Dream on mate you need an IQ above average to manage the Saints. You were in your right place at skuntland. Average IQ of their fans is in single figures and yours matches them perfectly. Clever Dick
  • Score: 0

12:17am Sun 15 Jun 14

Reality-man says...

That and the fact he is an alcoholic and a sh1t manager
That and the fact he is an alcoholic and a sh1t manager Reality-man
  • Score: -4

9:25am Sun 15 Jun 14

zambucco says...

but he did sh*g Caprice!
but he did sh*g Caprice! zambucco
  • Score: 2

4:57pm Sun 15 Jun 14

durhamsaint87 says...

So glad that failed. would still be in div 3 with a div manager.
So glad that failed. would still be in div 3 with a div manager. durhamsaint87
  • Score: 2

7:31pm Sun 15 Jun 14

Rocket 1 says...

zambucco wrote:
but he did sh*g Caprice!
No he Sh*gged A Capri, after a Night out on the Lash...........
[quote][p][bold]zambucco[/bold] wrote: but he did sh*g Caprice![/p][/quote]No he Sh*gged A Capri, after a Night out on the Lash........... Rocket 1
  • Score: 4

1:29pm Mon 16 Jun 14

apm1954 says...

has he had a bang on the head.
has he had a bang on the head. apm1954
  • Score: 0

3:46pm Tue 17 Jun 14

lowe esteem says...

apm1954 wrote:
has he had a bang on the head.
..only one or two...as he says when he arrives home the following morning...
He'd have been a beauty queen too, but for his connections...
[quote][p][bold]apm1954[/bold] wrote: has he had a bang on the head.[/p][/quote]..only one or two...as he says when he arrives home the following morning... He'd have been a beauty queen too, but for his connections... lowe esteem
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree