Report this comment
  • "
    redandy10 wrote:
    Seedhouse the Unrepentant wrote:
    redandy10 wrote:
    Rising_Son wrote:
    costa gaz wrote:
    Rising_Son wrote:
    costa gaz wrote:
    Benali76 wrote:
    Call their bluff? That just makes it sound like we are taking a gamble, that we really need to sell but are trying to squeeze a few more quid out of them. No we don't want to sell any of them so why are the echo joining in with the MSM's sales frenzy? The board should have just said we are closed for business while we appoint a new manager. Can we not have at least one player at the would cup.
    Not a gamble B76, the player wants to leave and it is up to the club to get the best deal
    The only way that Lalanna will still be at Saints next season is if he changes his mind, but the lure of CL football and £100k per week tells me he'll be off and it is the job of the board to squeeze as much as possible out of the buyer.
    If he wants to go that much, Saints might be waiting for him to hand in a transfer request, which would increase the amount Saints would get for him. (10% I believe is the usual amount.)
    Yes, sometimes this has to happen to force the move and it used to be the case that the player would lose his % of the fee.
    At the end of the day the player, and his parasitic agent, are holding all the aces.
    The fact that he is on a long contract means that we can play hardball.
    I hope we're not going to play. However, if we are, I also hope we do play hardball. I mean, it would be a poor bit of business if we're serious about progressing next season, and an even worse bit of business if the board and owner are asset-stripping.
    Exactly!
    In the long term we won't be able to keep every single player,but we can try to fleece these clubs and muck up their planning process as much as possible, which in the process might put off other clubs from launching any potential bids.

    I personally don't buy this whole asset-stripping line. IMO KL mucked up big time with the NC thing, but i believe that she does want to move the club forward. I'm very skeptical we have the right group running things to accomplish this. And I'm sure she wants to reign in spending as much as possible and i'm worried she may be taking soundings from Les Reed.
    That's exactly my take too. I think KL reigned in the spend on pushing to the next level hence NC moving on and then MoPo. But I don't think she's up for stripping....

    However, the loss of NC and his vision and the undoubtedly talented MoPo coupled with Rickie going means there is less desire to hang around amongst our important players. Unfortunately if they don't think the club is going to push to the next level in the near future they will see their ambitions being fulfilled elsewhere.

    My concern is the quality and experience of the board we now have and their ability to fend off attacks particularly if the players start muttering about moving on. A new quality manager is perhaps our only chance of keeping them. Perversely a delay in appointing might work in our favour as the board has the opportunity to quite rightly say 'sorry lads but we cannot and will not make any transfer decisions until we have a manger in place.' Although that goes against us on transfers in.
    Although I think we are blessed with a down to earth bunch of lads I'm in no doubt that they will be weighing up their options. There a talented bunch who like Poch & NC are probably driven & want to test themselves at the highest level.

    Seed I hope you are wrong on KL & the asset stripping. The thought had crossed my mind. But when she brought in Ralph, fresh from his olympic success I thought she might really be on the level about the clubs ambition, however misguided she was in appointing him. And when she started surfacing at our matches I was taken in.

    I believe the fact that we spent about £70 mill in two summers, nearly half of which went on Gaston & his Gitness, Dani Osvaldo probably played a part in the final showdown in January. I said back in 2012 that the family are successful business people who wouldn't pour endless amounts of money into a dream without witnessing some sort of tangible evidence of success. This was why I was so adamant that Nigel should work the plank. Under Poch & NC we were progressing incredibly fast, but it was too expensive for her. Shame because most of the hard work had been done, all we needed was a few finishing touches and European qualification would have been ours.

    God bless her Dad for saving us, but she blew things big time. The chance of a lifetime....gone!!!
    Bitter sweet seeing SRL go..... I guess post World Cup his England career tournament wise is done and emotionally to go full circle back to Liverpool is a thanks from us to him.

    Now.......to all saints fans.....keep calm, the press have whipped up a frenzy and ignore facts .

    This article is the best I have found summarising our journey:
    http://hereisthecity
    .com/en-gb/2014/01/1
    6/ca-katharina-liebh
    errs-ascent-to-the-s
    outhampton-helm/

    Coupled with;
    http://www.theriches
    t.com/sports/soccer-
    sports/top-10-riches
    t-english-premier-le
    ague-owners/2/

    This tells us we have sound and sensible owners who hire and pay for the best advice . Their actions to date the proof in the pudding.

    They are not mugs and they will not assert strip SFC either intentionally or through incompetent decisions.

    They were criticised for lining Poch up when NA got fired and now certain panic merchants are wanting an instant decision.

    The Lala and Shaw transfer has been imminent for weeks now and we haven't sold and the players haven't asked for a transfer.

    Whoever we hire as head coach will fit our footballing philosophy that's the southampton way and that goes from youth team to first team.

    We had doubts and reservations about Mopo.....let's trust the owners and the core team at the club.

    NC did well as I'd NA and MOPO , this isn't the end, it's the end of the beginning . RK said we want Europe and nobody to go unless we agree, that says prepare for a new chapter to me.

    Man up, enjoy the World Cup where there ARE 3 saints even if SRL will be at Anfield next year!

    Saints to finish above the yids next season!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Southampton Football Club to remain unmoved by Liverpool bid for captain Adam Lallana

Saints put Liverpool's Lallana ultimatum to the test

Saints put Liverpool's Lallana ultimatum to the test

First published in Football
Last updated

Southampton Football Club are to put Liverpool’s word to the test in a bid to hold on to their captain Adam Lallana.

It comes as the Saints captain and the rest of the England squad set off for Miami this afternoon.

The 26-year-old was picture on the plane sitting next to midfield Jack Wilshere on which the Arsenal player posted on the social network site Instagram, below.

Wilshere posted: "Me and Mr Lallana ready for a long flight!"

Basingstoke Gazette:

Liverpool had initially offered £20m for the 26-year-old, but were unable to convince Saints to sell for that amount.

Yesterday it was reported that they have now upped that offer to £25 million in a bid to convince Saints to sell.

The Anfield side are understood to have said that their latest approach is a final one, and have threatened to move onto other targets if the transfer is not concluded before the World Cup.

That is the same tactic they used to help push through a deal for Lallana's club and international teammate, Rickie Lambert, who is expected to complete his switch to Anfield on Monday.

But Saints look likely to hold off on any offer for Lallana before the World Cup.

The club feel they are in a stronger position when it comes to Lallana, and also Luke Shaw (below), with Manchester United making their own final push to sign the left-back before England depart for Brazil.

United have already offered £27m for the 18-year-old and are keen to wrap up a deal before anyone else can swoop in and hijack it, approaching Saints again yesterday to try and move things forward.

Basingstoke Gazette:

The club want to put transfer dealings on hold until a new manager is in place and the World Cup is over.

It is increasingly unlikely that either player will remain at the club this summer, but Saints feel under less pressure to deal with those matters quickly than they did with Lambert.

Even if they do feel a sale is inevitable, the club know that interest will not disappear and their values may even rise in Brazil.

When they reach Florida Roy Hodgson's squad will take part in a pre-World Cup training camp, before jetting off to South America next Sunday.

Hodgson has said he will allow clubs to send out staff to Florida to conduct medicals in the players' free time if absolutely necessary, but nothing will be allowed once England head to Brazil.

That leaves just a week for any transfers to be completed, although even once the squad depart today it will become increasingly difficult.

Comments (183)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree