BASINGSTOKE Town boss Jason Bristow said he was disappointed not to win after a 2-2 draw away at rivals Maidenhead United.

A frantic opening saw both sides go close before Maidenhead took the lead through Bobby Behzadi, an advantage they held through to half-time, though Manny Williams did rattle the crossbar for Town.

Williams levelled the scores three minutes after the break from Wes Daly's pass, while good play from Delano Sam-Yorke saw Williams get his second against his old club and fifth in three matches soon after.

However, the visitors were unable to hang on for three precious points, former Basingstoke favourite David Pratt going down under a challenge from Matt Warner to earn a contraversial penalty 15 minutes from time. Behzadi stepped up to convert the penalty.

The point saw Town slip to 16th position in the league, four points clear of the relegation zone and 12 points from the play-offs.

Bristow said: “It is disappointing we did not get all three points.

“We did not start the game well and we didn’t quite get up to what we know we can do in the first half, although we still had two or three opportunities.

“But in the second half we were in control for most of the game. To concede a penalty was disappointing and the result felt like a loss.”

Bristow was also upset by the referee's decision to give Maidenhead a penalty.

He said: “I felt it was harsh and quite clearly Matt got the ball. There were three or four penalty claims in the match and I thought that was the weakest of them all.”

Bristow also praised Williams, who has now scored five goals in three games.

He said: “He has done very well since he came into the side, and the last three games he has got the goals to with his performances. We hope it continues.”

With just minutes remaining, the Camrose club picked up an injury when defender Jay Gasson was involved in a heavy clash with a Maidenhead player.

Gasson had to be stretchered off with an injury to his left knee and was taken to hospital, where a scan found he had not suffered a fracture.

Bristow said he is expected to be out for several weeks.

See The Monday Gazette for a full report from Saturday's game.