BASINGSTOKE Town young guns saw off their counterparts from Premier League AFC Bournemouth in a Hampshire Senior Cup final thriller at St Mary's Stadium.

The match may have ended 0-0 after 90 minutes, but it was by no means a bore draw and it took penalties to decided the outcome.

Town had the ball in the net in the opening minute, but Aaron Jarvis had fouled Bournemouth goalkeeper Callum Stanton, one of the few decisions referee Alex Blake got right.

The Dragons certainly started the better and Jarvis saw his shot tipped wide from a George Bennett's cross.

A minute later, a cross from man of the match Nana Owusu saw Marcus Johnson-Schuster's shot saved and Ashleigh Artwell headed the rebound onto the bar.

Town continued to look for the opening goal, as Owusu shot was tipped over.

Bournemouth meanwhile played some nice possession football without an end product as Basingstoke's great work rate closed them down.

However, one rare opportunity saw Jake McCarthy crash a shot off the bar.

Soon after, the Dragons went close again as Johnson-Schuster's cross was headed back by Owusu and Artwell's first chance was blocked and his second effort went just wide.

Right at the death of the first half, Basingstoke were awarded a free-kick wide on the left and Owusu wiped it in with speed and Rob Atkinson toe poked the ball into the net.

A roar went up from the Town fans, but to their disbelief the goal was ruled offside, which must have been a very tight call.

After the break, the introduction of Bournemouth forward Joe Quigley added a new dimension to their attack and they started to press more.

Bailey Cargill had a volley saved and other chances fail to find the target.

In the final 10 minutes, Town really moved up a gear and a slip by Kyle Taylor allowed Jarvis to run at goal, but his shot is tipped over.

A minute from time a floated ball into the area from Sam Deadfield was knocked away by the hand of Ollie Harfield and amazingly no penalty was given. One of worst decision you are likely to see.

Then in added on time a shot from Owusu looked like it is clawed back from out of the net by Stanton, but no goal was given and so the final was decided by penalties.

Town striker Aaron Redford was first up and scored as do the next two, Cargill and Deadfield.

Jack Simpson's spot kick is then saved by Alex Tokarczyk.

Partridge makes it 3-1 and the next three kicks are all successful from Quigley, Owusu and Sam Surridge.

So this leaves George Bennett the chance to win the cup, but Stanton saves and Matt Worthington scores to send the shoot-out into sudden death.

With the tension building with every kick, Artwell, Ray and Kennedy all scored for the Dragons, as do Taylor and Alex Dobre for the Cherries.

It is left to Antonio Diaz to keep his side hopes alive, he shoots to Tokarczyk's left and the big goalie gets down and pushes the ball away much to the delight of most of the 1,500 crowd as the celebrations begin.