STUART Mogg scored the overtime winner, as the Basingstoke Bison won 6-5 away at the Swindon Wildcats.

The victory means a repeat performance this evening at home to the same Swindon side, will secure the Herd third spot in the English Premier League.

The Bison welcomed back defensive duo Dan Scott and Joe Baird for the clash, but were still minus forward Ivan Antonov.

After an even opening, it was the Wildcats who opened the scoring, making the most of the first powerplay of the night, as impressive young forward Jordan Kelsall netted at 7:57.

The Herd hit back with their own powerplay strike from Rene Jarolin and 30 seconds later captain, Aaron Connolly put the visitors in front.

Swindon took just 42 seconds of the second period to level the game, as Max Birbraer scored with his shot looping over the shoulder of Bison goalie Tomas Hiadlovsky.

The same Swindon forward put his side in front, as he made the most of Hiadlovsky’s excursion out of his crease, to fire into the empty net.

Tempers then flared after a hit by Tomasz Malasinski, which saw Wildcats’ Floyd Taylor, along with Bison’s Joe Miller and Ciaran Long all sit out roughing penalties.

The home side made the most of the man advantage as Malasinski’s excellent pass found Kelsall, and the youngster scored his second of the night to make it 4-2.

At this point, the Bison looked to be heading for back-to-back losses at the Link Centre, but they hit back and by the second buzzer led.

Man of the match Grant Rounding netted the first goal, with a lovely solo strike and then Tomas Karpov scored from close range on the powerplay.

With 18 seconds left, before the second buzzer, Rounding struck again to make the score 5-4.

The final 20 minutes saw just the one goal from Swindon import Robin Kovar at 51:42.

With no further scoring the game went into sudden death overtime.

It looked like the home side would win it, when they were awarded a penalty shot at 61:59, after Hiadlovsky hauled down Jonas Hoog.

However, the Herd goalie made amends and saved the shot from the Swede.

Then with exactly two minutes left in the extra session, defenceman Stuart Mogg fired home to win the game for the Bison.

The Herd complete their regular season campaign this evening (5.30pm) against Swindon, who still have a chance of finishing fifth, if they win in Basingstoke and the Guildford Flames lose in regulation in Peterborough.