HARTLEY Wintney moved into the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy for the first time in their history, thanks to a controlled performance over a subdued Gosport Borough side.

A decent crowd of 216 attended with a good number up from the South Coast who cheered their team to the rafters until the end.

It was the visitors who should have been ahead in the first minute.

A good cross from Liam Mears found Dale Mason in the box.

The winger did well to create himself a good chance but screwed his shot across the face of the goal.

Hartley soon had control of the midfield and there was a constant flow towards the Boro goal.

On seven minutes the Row had a strong appeal for a penalty when Paul Hodges went down. This was turned down but almost immediately the ball arrived back with Hodges whose low cross was driven by Liam Eagle who was unlucky to see the ball deflected wide.

From the resulting corner Eagle rose highest and his header was just over the crossbar.

On 10 minutes good work by Paul Hodges set up Jake Baxter who brought out a save from Tom Price in the Gosport goal.

Hartley remained on top but had a scare on 20 minutes when Dale Mason had an effort saved at the near post by Paul Strudley.

Within two minutes Hartley were ahead with a good goal. A surging run from midfield by Hodges created a chance for Webb.

From around 25 yards the midfielder took aim and fired an unstoppable shot into the net.

On 26 minutes the Row added a second goal.

Rowan Vine had a long run from midfield before setting up Webb who curled in a delightful shot past Tom Price from the edge of the box.

Two minutes later, Dale Mason went on a long run for the Boro and his parting shot went past the post.

Hartley thought they had added a third goal on 38 minutes. Good passing between Louie Paget and Paul Hodges allowed Jake Baxter to run on and put the ball into the net.

However, the celebrations were cut short by the flag of the assistant referee for offside.

A minute later, the visitors were unlucky not to reduce the deficit, An accurate ball into the penalty area from Dale Mason found Dave Onwuachu who was unlucky to see his fierce shot crash off the crossbar.

Gosport had more possession at the start of the second half but Strudley was not tested.

It was the Row who had the first shot when good work by Webb in midfield set up Paul Hodges who saw his effort saved by Price.

However on 53 minutes, Hartley added a third with another good goal. Vine and Webb combined well and created a chance for Hodges who shot home from 12 yards.

The Row noticeably were content to defend the lead but almost undone on 58 minutes.

A good surging run from midfield by Liam Mears took him through the Hartley defence and Strudley did well to come out and bravely smother the parting shot.

Some slack play by the Row on 84 minutes gave Kurt Watts a clear chance but the substitute seen his shot bring a smart save from Strudley.

Three minutes later after good play from Steven Duff down the left wing crossed and found Dean Stow whose effort brought a good save out of Price in the Boro goal.

The final whistle sounded with Hartley recording a comfortable win and three good strikes.

After the game joint manager Daniel Brownlie said: “The fact we were against higher league opposition, yet not at our best, and still come away with a three nil win says a lot about our squad.

“We're improving week on week in a league that is relatively unknown to us, the Trophy is added bonus and we're finding out first hand the fact we can compete at this level.

“We've earned the right to be in the hat on Monday. Whoever we come up against, we go in with confidence. It's been another great day at the office.”

On Tuesday night, Hartley face Marlow in the league cup.