BASINGSTOKE Town and Hartley Wintney will have to replay on Tuesday night, to decide who progresses to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.

With eight minutes left at the Camrose, Town looked to be heading for the next round as they led 2-0.

However, the underdogs had other ideas and the superb Paul Hodges, Hartley hitman in this game, grabbed two late goals to make it 2-2.

The Row could then have even won the tie, from skipper Sam Argent, but Basingstoke goalkeeper Colm McAdden made a great stop to make sure of a replay.

Town made one change to the side which won 8-0 at Gosport, as Ashleigh Artwell returned in place of striker Aaron Jarvis, who was signed by Luton Town on transfer deadline day.

In front of a good crowd of 554, Hartley started the tie well with Argent and Luke Perkins having early chances.

Against the run of the play the home side took the lead on 11 minutes, as Sam Smart’s deep cross was met by a lovely low volley by Ben Wright, which gave Paul Strudley no chance.

The goal lifted the home side and Wright fired just wide and then Argent replied for Hartley with a shot just over.

At half-time in an entertaining encounter Town still led 1-0.

Just five minutes after the break, a Dean Stow free-kick saw Liam Eagle head just over for Hartley.

Town’s Smart then forced Strudley into a good low save.

Disaster then struck for the visitors, as Steve Noakes’ back pass was too short for Strudley, who tried to clear the ball, but it only got as far as Town skipper Marcus Johnson-Schuster who on the volley made it 2-0.

With eight minutes left, Hartley pulled a goal back as Stow’s free-kick was not held and Hodges tapped in the rebound.

Then with four minutes left, Argent played a nice one-two with Hodges and the striker grabbed his second of the game, to make it 2-2 at the final whistle.

Hartley’s delighted joint manager Daniel Brownlie said: “We may not have been at our best, but we never gave-up and the replay is going to be a great occasion at Hartley. I hope we have over 500 there.”

A less then delighted Town boss Terry Brown said: “A win today could have capped one of the best weeks in the club’s history. I felt Hartley on their performance today deserved to still be in the FA Cup. They dominated us in midfield and we gave away too many free-kicks. They were always going to eventually hurt us from one of them.

“I felt our centre halves were magnificent, but I have to work out what to do about the midfield.”

The draw for the second qualifying round is on Monday lunchtime.