FORMER Overton United A player Aaron Burt came back to haunt his old teammates as he scored the extra-time winner for Skewers in their 3-2 victory in the Peter Raynbird Cup final.

The victory celebrations were dampened as the winners’ goalkeeper Ben Corsan ended the game in hospital after he broke his leg in the extra period.

It was Overton who started the contest the better, as Ross Soper-Dyer hit the post after 16 minutes and then Wayne Barlow forced a good save out of Corsan.

Neil Ryan then tested the goalie again, before Overton took the lead on 25 minutes as Jamie Ebsworth’s deep cross was met by a sweet volley from Barlow.

Four minutes later, Overton doubled their advantage as Charlie Palmer sent a long ball into the penalty area from the left, which Corsan missed, and Soper-Dyer slotted into the empty net.

A rare Skewers attack just before the break saw Overton goalkeeper Luke Stickland bundle over Simon Jane for a needless penalty, which Sam Cato converted.

Seven minutes after the break, Skewers equalised as Dan Manton’s sweetly struck 30-yard free-kick was too good for Stickland.

The introduction of Skewers substitutes Chris Andrews and Aaron Burt, early in the second half, made a big difference as their attacks increased.

Only a timely interception by Paul Baker stopped Overton’s Cato when he was about to shoot and soon after he fired a good chance over the bar.

Overton always looked dangerous in attack and in the 76th minute, only a point blank save by Corsan stopped Ebsworth from giving his side the lead again.

Then, in the final minutes of normal time, John Sayers’s shot hit the bar and Barlow fired a chance wide.

The first incident of extra-time saw Skewers’ goalkeeper Corsan rush out of his goal in a race for a 50-50 ball with Overton substitute Darren White.

In the collision that followed, both players went down injured and Corsan was carried off with a broken leg and as Skewers had used all their subs, they were reduced to 10 men.

Skewers’ centre back Lee Corsan took over in goal and his first job was to face a penalty from Sayers, which he stopped with a great diving save.

Despite being down to 10 men, Skewers now looked the more likely to score, and their winner came from Burt, who started the season at Overton United, as he ran through unmarked and lobbed the goalkeeper.