Saints' monster pay day

Saints' monster pay day

Saints' monster pay day

First published in Sport Basingstoke Gazette: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Sports Reporter

Saints banked £76.9m in payments from the Premier League in the 2013/14 season.

The sum is more than £30m above what they earned during the previous campaign, thanks largely to a bumper new television deal.

With 50 per cent of the UK broadcast revenue shared equally between the division’s 20 sides, Saints, as well as each other club, received one payment of about £21.6m.

They also received about £8.6m in ‘facility fees’ for being shown on television a minimum of ten times during the campaign.

On top of that, they received just over £16m for finishing eighth in the table.

With the overseas broadcast income and central commercial funds being shared equally, Saints also banked about £26.3m and £4.3m respectively from those pots.

Cardiff earned more from finishing bottom of the Premier League this season than Manchester United earned as champions the previous campaign, it has been announced.

The league's new £5.5billion broadcast deal meant Cardiff received £62.08million in finishing 20th this term, compared to United's £60.8m for winning the 2012/13 title.

Manchester City, who succeeded United as champions on Sunday with a second title in three years, earned £96.5m, with second-placed Liverpool the top earners with £97.5m as a consequence of more of their games being screened live by broadcasters.

City's windfall was almost £36m more than United's last term.

Manuel Pellegrini's men did not top the league, though, as they appeared in 25 games broadcast in the UK by either Sky Sports or BT Sport, compared to Liverpool's 28.

Third-placed Chelsea, United and Arsenal also appeared in 25 live televised games and Cardiff were one of eight teams to appear in 10 live matches.

The Welshmen, who returned to the Championship after one season in the top-flight, received over £22m more than QPR did in finishing last in the 2012/13 season.

The season was arguably the most exciting in recent memory, with the lead changing hands 25 times and 1,052 goals scored alongside a record stadium occupancy of 95.9 per cent.

The total dividends paid out to the 20 competing clubs was £1.56billion, compared to £972m the previous year. The ratio between the top and bottom earning club was 1.57:1.

The Premier League Founder Members' Agreement dictates 50 per cent of UK broadcast revenue is split equally, 25 per cent is paid in merit payments depending on the finishing position in the final table - £1.2m was paid for every place - and 25 per cent is paid in facility fees each time a club's matches are broadcast, while all international broadcast revenue, and central commercial revenue, is split equally amongst the 20 clubs.

City received £24.72m for finishing first and facility fees of £19.68m; their predecessors as champions United earned £17.30m for finishing seventh and facility fees of £19.68m in a total of £89.1m.

The equal share was £21.6m (a rise of 63 per cent on the 2012/13 value of £13.8m), overseas TV revenue was £26.29m and central commercial income of £4.27m to equal £31m (up 61 per cent on the previous year).

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:28am Thu 15 May 14

Norwegian Saint says...

Right.... Miss Liebherr.
Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league.
Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level!
Come on you Saaaaaints!
Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints! Norwegian Saint
  • Score: 16

10:02am Thu 15 May 14

Poole Tom says...

Norwegian Saint wrote:
Right.... Miss Liebherr.
Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league.
Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level!
Come on you Saaaaaints!
I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.
[quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints![/p][/quote]I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case. Poole Tom
  • Score: 17

12:05pm Thu 15 May 14

Jesus_02 says...

Poole Tom wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints!
I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.
Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it.

I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints![/p][/quote]I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.[/p][/quote]Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it. I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football. Jesus_02
  • Score: 3

3:26pm Thu 15 May 14

Freddie Flowerpot says...

Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff!

Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham.

Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers?
Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff! Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham. Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers? Freddie Flowerpot
  • Score: 4

4:51pm Thu 15 May 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Message to Les Reed & Ralph Kuger
DO NOT ALLOW THIS GROUP OF PLAYERS & MANAGER TO BREAK UP
It has taken 5 years to build and the vision was to take it on further.
Finance should not be a problem so sort out MoPo's extended contract quickly its nearly a week since the season ended and you could have done it before then. There is nothing that Spurs can offer that we can't so sort it and then get in our three top targets quickly before others teams do, and tell our young stars they are not going anywhere as they all signed up to the vision, so lets push on.
Message to Les Reed & Ralph Kuger DO NOT ALLOW THIS GROUP OF PLAYERS & MANAGER TO BREAK UP It has taken 5 years to build and the vision was to take it on further. Finance should not be a problem so sort out MoPo's extended contract quickly its nearly a week since the season ended and you could have done it before then. There is nothing that Spurs can offer that we can't so sort it and then get in our three top targets quickly before others teams do, and tell our young stars they are not going anywhere as they all signed up to the vision, so lets push on. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 1

5:07pm Thu 15 May 14

Poole Tom says...

Jesus_02 wrote:
Poole Tom wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints!
I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.
Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it.

I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.
The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not.
[quote][p][bold]Jesus_02[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints![/p][/quote]I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.[/p][/quote]Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it. I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.[/p][/quote]The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not. Poole Tom
  • Score: 1

9:32pm Thu 15 May 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Poole Tom wrote:
Jesus_02 wrote:
Poole Tom wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints!
I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.
Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it.

I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.
The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not.
I hear your point about the positive ownership that attracted St Marcus, but I think you only have the facts partially correct. As I recall the 'train' was finally running for a new stadium before Lowe joined. OK, he did drive it home and then claimed or the credit but little else.
Saints still owed the full cost of the stadium, as only the interest was being paid, when St Marcus bought it for a knock down price. It was a far better investment than the other clubs you mention.
[quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jesus_02[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints![/p][/quote]I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.[/p][/quote]Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it. I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.[/p][/quote]The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not.[/p][/quote]I hear your point about the positive ownership that attracted St Marcus, but I think you only have the facts partially correct. As I recall the 'train' was finally running for a new stadium before Lowe joined. OK, he did drive it home and then claimed or the credit but little else. Saints still owed the full cost of the stadium, as only the interest was being paid, when St Marcus bought it for a knock down price. It was a far better investment than the other clubs you mention. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 0

9:35pm Thu 15 May 14

NC Fan4Life says...

Freddie Flowerpot wrote:
Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff!

Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham.

Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers?
Fully agree F F
Hopefully do a lot better next season especially if we keep the young stars and push on next season playing great entertaining football again.
[quote][p][bold]Freddie Flowerpot[/bold] wrote: Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff! Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham. Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers?[/p][/quote]Fully agree F F Hopefully do a lot better next season especially if we keep the young stars and push on next season playing great entertaining football again. NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 0

9:38pm Thu 15 May 14

NC Fan4Life says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
Freddie Flowerpot wrote:
Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff!

Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham.

Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers?
Fully agree F F
Hopefully do a lot better next season especially if we keep the young stars and push on next season playing great entertaining football again.
I would also add that an ORIGINAL new shirt unlike any other would help Saints stand out on TV next season.
Any ideas ? how about diagonal red and white stripes fading from red to white across the shirt ?
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Freddie Flowerpot[/bold] wrote: Bit of an insult that we we were only live on TV 10 times last season, same as Cardiff! Would have thought that having finished a brilliant 8th we would have been on TV at least as much as West Ham. Don't the TV companies think we can pull in the viewers?[/p][/quote]Fully agree F F Hopefully do a lot better next season especially if we keep the young stars and push on next season playing great entertaining football again.[/p][/quote]I would also add that an ORIGINAL new shirt unlike any other would help Saints stand out on TV next season. Any ideas ? how about diagonal red and white stripes fading from red to white across the shirt ? NC Fan4Life
  • Score: 1

9:59am Fri 16 May 14

Poole Tom says...

NC Fan4Life wrote:
Poole Tom wrote:
Jesus_02 wrote:
Poole Tom wrote:
Norwegian Saint wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints!
I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.
Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it.

I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.
The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not.
I hear your point about the positive ownership that attracted St Marcus, but I think you only have the facts partially correct. As I recall the 'train' was finally running for a new stadium before Lowe joined. OK, he did drive it home and then claimed or the credit but little else.
Saints still owed the full cost of the stadium, as only the interest was being paid, when St Marcus bought it for a knock down price. It was a far better investment than the other clubs you mention.
When the somewhat controversial reverse takeover by Secure Homes took place in the late nineties it was justified on the grounds that Lowe had the contacts in the city that were necessary for the club to be able to raise the finance required to build a new stadium. The `train ` had not therefore even left the station when the takeover took place! In fact the situation was as it had been for the previous 50 years. All talk but no action.
Furthermore I think you will find that when Marcus purchased the club for approximately 14 million we actually owed about 24 million on the ground which of course had originally cost approximately 30 million to build, plus about another 5 million to Barclays. So in effect Marcus bought the club for approximately 50% of the amount owed to it`s creditors.
And finally why was Saints a better investment than the other clubs I have mentioned? Because of it`s infrastructure, i.e. primarily the stadium, which of course was the point I was making in my original comment.
[quote][p][bold]NC Fan4Life[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jesus_02[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Poole Tom[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Norwegian Saint[/bold] wrote: Right.... Miss Liebherr. Make your father proud and keep our talented manager and players and push up the league. Under the dark lord Low(e) days we were known as the selling club... lets show them we are serious about pushing onto the next level! Come on you Saaaaaints![/p][/quote]I know this comment will probably get plenty of thumbs down but the fact remains that if Lowe had`nt built us a new stadium and we had therefore still been at the Dell when we went into administration, we would not have been an attractive proposition to Marcus Liebherr, so we would`nt be where we are today. Of course I accept that Lowe messed up in the end and rightly had to go, but he did leave a legacy in the form of the stadium, which is more than you can say for most of our previous owners and chairman. I anticipate that the response will be that it was his fault that we went down and then subsequently went into administration, which is obviously true to a certain extent, but realistically even if Lowe had never set foot in our club we would not have maintained our place in the Premier League indefinitely in a 15,000 stadium, and unfortunately plenty of other clubs have gone the same way that we went following relegation. If running a football club along successful lines over many years was that easy fans of all clubs would be happy, and we all know that is never the case.[/p][/quote]Unsure what to make of this comment ...if my dad hadn’t met my mum I wouldn’t be in the privileged position to write it. I can’t believe that he is still getting praise for delivering the stadium that should have arrived years previously and without an impossible mortgage brokered by his own property company. The man made millions and didn’t have the slightest interest in football.[/p][/quote]The reasons I still give Lowe credit for building the ground are two fold. One because as you know he actually did it, and two because according to my long since departed Dad talk of moving to a new stadium first began as long ago as just after the second world war. Consequently to us older fans it was a very big deal when Lowe did build the ground because personally I had dream`t of Saints having a new stadium for pretty much 30 years before it actually came to fruition. OK Lowe mucked up subsequently for which he was quite rightly castigated but that does not alter the fact that without the ground we probably would not have attracted a billionaire investor after he was no longer on the scene. If you disagree I would suggest you ask yourself why nobody like Liebherr has brought Everton and Leeds who are obviously bigger clubs than Saints or even Pompey who of course are not.[/p][/quote]I hear your point about the positive ownership that attracted St Marcus, but I think you only have the facts partially correct. As I recall the 'train' was finally running for a new stadium before Lowe joined. OK, he did drive it home and then claimed or the credit but little else. Saints still owed the full cost of the stadium, as only the interest was being paid, when St Marcus bought it for a knock down price. It was a far better investment than the other clubs you mention.[/p][/quote]When the somewhat controversial reverse takeover by Secure Homes took place in the late nineties it was justified on the grounds that Lowe had the contacts in the city that were necessary for the club to be able to raise the finance required to build a new stadium. The `train ` had not therefore even left the station when the takeover took place! In fact the situation was as it had been for the previous 50 years. All talk but no action. Furthermore I think you will find that when Marcus purchased the club for approximately 14 million we actually owed about 24 million on the ground which of course had originally cost approximately 30 million to build, plus about another 5 million to Barclays. So in effect Marcus bought the club for approximately 50% of the amount owed to it`s creditors. And finally why was Saints a better investment than the other clubs I have mentioned? Because of it`s infrastructure, i.e. primarily the stadium, which of course was the point I was making in my original comment. Poole Tom
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree