When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Odiham boxer Matt Goddard remains upbeat despite eye injury setback
ODIHAM professional boxer Matt Goddard still feels he will be able to fight for a title by the end of the year, despite having to pull out of his latest bout on June 6 due to an eye injury.
The 23-year-old had a cyst in his eye, which has left behind some damaged tissue. It needs time to heal and the boxer has decided to give the June outing at Portsmouth’s Mountbatten Centre a miss.
Goddard said: “I will be out for around a month and then I will be perfectly okay.
“If I fought and was caught in the eye I was told it may be six months before I could fight again.”
The Odiham fighter is keen to maintain his impressive perfect record and is not about to put it at risk.
His last victory – the seventh of his professional career so far – came in Southampton in March, when he out-pointed Arek Malek in a six-round fight.
The boxer is now looking at moving up to eight rounds as the light welterweight continues his quest to land a title this year.
Goddard said: “It is a bit of a disaster suffering this injury, but I have to focus on the bigger picture and maybe I will ask to move straight up to fighting eight rounds next time out.
“I still think getting a shot at a title by the end of the year is not out of the question. I am going to continue to train hard so, when I get the all clear from the doctor, I will be able to fight as soon as possible.”
This would ideally be in July, putting the 23-year-old back on track for bigger and better things by the end of the year.
Comments are closed on this article.