BASINGSTOKE Hockey Club’s ladies’ second team stormed into the semi-final of the Hampshire Trophy after an emphatic 5-1 win at Eastleigh last Sunday.

The home side opened the scoring after the visitors made a sluggish start, but captain Cath McCormick and Amy Bennett made sure Basingstoke led at half-time.

After the break, McCormick became the catalyst for visitors’ attacks, as she released Sarah Mainprise and Gilly Dunning to make it 4-1.

McCormick wrapped up the scoring – and her side’s reward is a semi-final tie with Southampton.

The day before, in league action, the Basingstoke ladies’ first team won away at Wimble-don 4-1, despite missing four pivotal players.

The visitors took the lead from Jenny Rust as she converted a through-ball from stand-in captain Catriona Bausor.

The advantage was doubled before half-time by Rust from Claire Bowman’s pass.

Bausor turned provider for Chrissy Waller to slot home at the near post, before Wimbledon pulled a goal back.

Basingstoke deservedly had the final word, from Roxy O’Dea’s reserve-stick deflection.

The ladies’ seconds were disappointed to lose 2-1 at Portsmouth and Southsea, despite a positive performance and a well-taken goal from Mainprise.

The thirds drew 3-3 with City of Portsmouth, while the fourth team beat Gosport 3-0.

The fifths put up a creditable performance as they lost 3-0 against unbeaten Fareham.

The men’s first team chalked up another vital victory in their Hampshire/Surrey Division Two title chase, as they beat visiting Southampton 3-1 at home.

It was the visitors who took a deserved early lead from a penalty-corner.

The home side equalised after Greg Smith played the ball in to Ben Shaughnessy, who used his trademark spin to rifle the ball into the bottom corner.

Smith claimed his second assist of the game, as his pass was deflected in by Dean Record.

After the break, the home side struck again, as Record netted a rebound after Alex Hope’s cutting pass.

There were defeats for the second, third and fourth teams against New Milton 3-2, Petersfield 7-3 and Trojans 1-0.

Steve Wares’ neatly taken goal helped the fifth team secure a 1-1 draw with Fleet and Ewshot.