Former Southampton winger Jason Puncheon believes Saints can qualify for Europe

Basingstoke Gazette: JASON PUNCHEON JASON PUNCHEON

Jason Puncheon believes Saints are still capable of making it into Europe.

The Crystal Palace winger was up against his old club yesterday at Selhurst Park, although it was not the reunion he would have hoped for.

Puncheon made a critical error that led to the decisive goal from Jay Rodriguez, as Saints earned a 1-0 win that kept the Eagles in the thick of the relegation battle.

The teams that finish fifth and sixth will qualify for the Europa League, and it could be that the seventh placed finishers also bag a place if a top-four club wins the FA Cup.

The midfielder, who moved to Palace on loan last summer before completing a permanent switch in January, still has fond memories of St Mary’s.

Southampton still has a big place in my heart,” said Puncheon, who swapped shirts with his friend and former colleague, Luke Shaw, after the match.

“I had a great relationship with everyone there and I had some great times.

“They are capable of getting into Europe – they have got some great players.”

As he was speaking, Puncheon received a big kiss from his former boss, Mauricio Pochettino, who had spotted him while he was making his way towards the Saints team coach.

It was a show of affection for the 27-year-old’s past contribution to Saints, although it might as well have been for the one he made to their cause.

Puncheon held his hands up to his role in the goal, as his poor header was seized on by Rodriguez to race through and score.

“I’m disappointed for myself for the mistake, but that’s football,” he said. “Sometimes you have got to be honest with yourself, because if you can’t be honest with yourself then you are never going to get nowhere.

“The ball came and I didn’t actually see Jay to my right. I headed it and, when I saw him, I tried to recover. “I nearly got there, but I didn’t.”

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:40am Mon 10 Mar 14

justaSaintsfan says...

I'll take whatever comes next season because I'm a Saints fan and will just go on supporting them.

Next season should be a better one for Saints than this season. There will probably be some changes to the squad, including new players bought. Senior and younger first team squad players will have had another season of experience in the Premier League. Saints academy players will continue proving they are worthy of the first team.

And I am going to keep right on saying that Saints are a work in progress and that their improvement will continue, the Southampton way.

Things are still looking up for Saints . . . . . . . up the Premier League table!!!

There has never been a better time to be a Saints fan! There might be a few 'blips' along the way, of course, but the upward progress of Saints will continue.

COYR!!!
I'll take whatever comes next season because I'm a Saints fan and will just go on supporting them. Next season should be a better one for Saints than this season. There will probably be some changes to the squad, including new players bought. Senior and younger first team squad players will have had another season of experience in the Premier League. Saints academy players will continue proving they are worthy of the first team. And I am going to keep right on saying that Saints are a work in progress and that their improvement will continue, the Southampton way. Things are still looking up for Saints . . . . . . . up the Premier League table!!! There has never been a better time to be a Saints fan! There might be a few 'blips' along the way, of course, but the upward progress of Saints will continue. COYR!!! justaSaintsfan
  • Score: 19

11:32am Mon 10 Mar 14

Jan28th1984 says...

Europa League next season? Hmm - possible but unlikely.
Europa League next season? Hmm - possible but unlikely. Jan28th1984
  • Score: -5

11:41am Mon 10 Mar 14

CB FRY LIVES says...

Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season.
Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM.
3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH.
COYR
Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season. Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM. 3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH. COYR CB FRY LIVES
  • Score: 13

12:30pm Mon 10 Mar 14

BehindEnemyLines says...

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season. Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM. 3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH. COYR
Punch certainly had a strong part in us getting three points on Saturday! But I agree, one of our problems this season is we are very much built around the 4-3-3 formation and therefore don't really have the players to switch to a 4-4-2 when needed and as you say that did look fairly potent at times last year.
We may struggle if we have Europe to contend with next season, not sure we have the squad today to have coped with the Thursday/Sunday fixtures and our track record to ake the right signings has not been great.
Lets hope they get it right this summer and we can go for it next year, where the expectation for all of us should be European place minimum.
[quote][p][bold]CB FRY LIVES[/bold] wrote: Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season. Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM. 3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH. COYR[/p][/quote]Punch certainly had a strong part in us getting three points on Saturday! But I agree, one of our problems this season is we are very much built around the 4-3-3 formation and therefore don't really have the players to switch to a 4-4-2 when needed and as you say that did look fairly potent at times last year. We may struggle if we have Europe to contend with next season, not sure we have the squad today to have coped with the Thursday/Sunday fixtures and our track record to ake the right signings has not been great. Lets hope they get it right this summer and we can go for it next year, where the expectation for all of us should be European place minimum. BehindEnemyLines
  • Score: 2

12:52pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Beer Monster says...

Whilst the thought of us playing in Europe next season may be too early for some, it is certainly interesting to note that five of the last nine games are against the five teams directly above us... under normal circumstances I wouldn't have said that trips to White Hart Lane or the Etihad would prove fruitful but we appear to be winning more away games this season, so who knows?

Keep the faith,
COYR
Whilst the thought of us playing in Europe next season may be too early for some, it is certainly interesting to note that five of the last nine games are against the five teams directly above us... under normal circumstances I wouldn't have said that trips to White Hart Lane or the Etihad would prove fruitful but we appear to be winning more away games this season, so who knows? Keep the faith, COYR Beer Monster
  • Score: 2

1:01pm Mon 10 Mar 14

SaintJD says...

I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we.

Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.
I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we. Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season. SaintJD
  • Score: 4

1:36pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Jan28th1984 says...

SaintJD wrote:
I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we.

Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.
Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda
[quote][p][bold]SaintJD[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we. Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.[/p][/quote]Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda Jan28th1984
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Positively4thStreet says...

Jan28th1984 wrote:
SaintJD wrote:
I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we.

Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.
Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda
Two posts which beautifully sum up the situation, what a chance we had,what a chance we let slip through our fingers...and for what?!
So frustrating!
[quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintJD[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we. Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.[/p][/quote]Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda[/p][/quote]Two posts which beautifully sum up the situation, what a chance we had,what a chance we let slip through our fingers...and for what?! So frustrating! Positively4thStreet
  • Score: 5

7:30pm Mon 10 Mar 14

David Crook says...

CB FRY LIVES wrote:
Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season.
Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM.
3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH.
COYR
I agree.
[quote][p][bold]CB FRY LIVES[/bold] wrote: Well said Punch.Mind you i think Saints would have had an even greater chance of reaching Europe if we had kept Puncheon.Last season the Clyne/Puncheon combination down Saints right flank was often a potent force.We have missed a player who can score goals by cutting in from the flanks this season. Still Jason wanted to move back to south London for personal reasons so good luck to himTHE SUPER SAINTS WILL HAVE TO CONTINUE THEIR CLIMB UP THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITHOUT HIM. 3 MORE POINTS ON SATURDAY AGAINST NORWICH. COYR[/p][/quote]I agree. David Crook
  • Score: 1

9:04pm Mon 10 Mar 14

up saints says...

Positively4thStreet wrote:
Jan28th1984 wrote:
SaintJD wrote:
I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we.

Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.
Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda
Two posts which beautifully sum up the situation, what a chance we had,what a chance we let slip through our fingers...and for what?!
So frustrating!
yep spot on if we got dumped out by sunderland playing the first 11 and lost fans would not be upset.but now reached the magic 40 pts could hit mid 50s so it's a move in the right direction for next year.
[quote][p][bold]Positively4thStreet[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Jan28th1984[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]SaintJD[/bold] wrote: I'm sure Punch is right - we can still qualify for Europe. Having beaten Sunderland and Hull we just need to beat Sheffield Utd and upset Arsenal or Wigan in the final. Oh, sorry, we played an understrength side didn't we. Great win on Saturday, but that cup draw is still hard to watch. Just wish we'd given it a go because we've got the edge over Hull this season and we could upset Arsenal no problem - would have been a beautiful game of football and fitting reward for our football this season.[/p][/quote]Coulda woulda shoulda my friend, coulda woulda shoulda[/p][/quote]Two posts which beautifully sum up the situation, what a chance we had,what a chance we let slip through our fingers...and for what?! So frustrating![/p][/quote]yep spot on if we got dumped out by sunderland playing the first 11 and lost fans would not be upset.but now reached the magic 40 pts could hit mid 50s so it's a move in the right direction for next year. up saints
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree