When news happens, text BAZ and your photos or videos to 80360. Or contact us by email and phone.
Nicola Cortese resigns and Katharina Liebherr becomes new chairman of Southampton FC
Nicola Cortese has sensationally quit as Saints chairman tonight, after a day of speculation and rumour.
He will now be replaced by Katharina Liebherr, daughter of the late Markus, as non-executive chairman.
A statement issued to the Daily Echo said: "Southampton FC today announces that club owner Katharina Liebherr has taken on the role of non-executive Chairman.
"This follows the resignation of Nicola Cortese.
"A search has begun for a Chief Executive Officer who will take over Mr Cortese's executive duties.
Katharina Liebherr said: "With great regret we have accepted the resignation of Mr Cortese. He has done a wonderful job at the club and we very much wanted him to stay.
"A search has now begun for a successor. In the meantime, it is business as usual and we will ensure that the manager, the team and all the staff at the club have all the help and support they need."
More on Nicola Cortese:
- Saints players say thanks to Cortese
- COMMENT: What's next for Saints?
- Bookmakers make Pochettino favourite to go next
- Liebherr to replace Cortese, claim reports
- A 'crying shame' if Cortese goes
- The engima that is Nicola Cortese
- Cortese 'the best Saints signing', says fan
- Resignation reports are untrue
- Is Saints' chairman about to quit?
- AC Milan linked with Nicola Cortese
Comments are closed on this article.